Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
60 and still sleeping under canvas when I camp. Grew up doing it that way, and did it a lot since my dad was an ardent camper and rock hound. I wouldn't mind having a popup, but am putting it off as long as possible.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This reminds me about the last 8 years or so that I was in the service. I bought a small hammock with the wooden poles. I think it costs maybe less than $20 and I would put a ground mat in it and tie a hammock over the top. It would keep me dry and off the ground and I didn't have to lie under a stinking tent with stinking people and try and sleep through their snoring. It fit easily into my rucksack. I still have it. When it was time for me to breakdown it only took a few minutes and I had less to haul out. Much easier then putting up a jungle hammock or toting an Army cot.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well when I go camping I'm usually so far out in the sticks that you can't get a camper in there. I've always tent camped. I have a couple tents in different sizes and which one I bring depends on the length of of time I plan to stay.

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thats a little too rough for me. I don't like the critters that close.

I hear that.
I love the outdoors, I've been invited a few times to go camping. First question I always ask is...is anybody carrying heat?
I don't own any firearms, but I like to take my Bear Pepper Spray. I hate the thought of being vulnerable to something in the woods and not be able to have a fighting chance...

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This is a very entertaining thread.
I'm convinced I wouldn't camp out with some sort of shelter from the elements, especially from little critters.
I wouldn't want to be waken up in the middle of the night by a coyote licking my face... Lol~

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the subject of tents has anyone ever had a bear, raccoon, snake or any other animal try to enter their tent?

Years ago Dad and I were setting up our homemade wall tent in the Colorado Rockies for the Muzzleloader Elk season, when a couple guys on their way out stopped to warn us about a bear that had been wrecking their camp the past week.

We thanked them, and chuckled, we had a bear tag too, and would welcome a bear that we wouldn't have to pack back to camp.

Later that day another group of hunters moved in, and put up an electric fence corral for 2 horses right beside our tent. We hoped we would be the only other hunters there, but one more group wasn't bad.

Two or three days later I wake up with a start at about 3 am, the horses are going nuts, I ask the old man whats goin' on, and he said I bet that bear is back.

All of a sudden the horses take off, we hear the wire from the electric fence zinging through the trees, and then silence.

We had set our ice chest right outside our tent flap, under a small overhang. We also had a blue tarp down, to help keep the tent clean.

I light the lantern, and start thinking about how I'm going to shoot a bear in the dark, when we hear heavy, slow footsteps on the blue tarp. Dad and I look at each other, he pulls out his 357 from under the pad on his cot, and hands it to me.

By this time the animal stops right outside the tent flap, I imagine a huge bear sniffing the ice chest. I cock the hammer, grab the flap with one hand, and get ready to open it.......identify my target, and shoot as fast as possible.

I throw the flap back, and instantly A BIG BLACK HORSE HEAD COMES into the tent. Pure, sweet adrenalin. Thank God I didn't shoot it.

That was the end of it, woke up the guy with the horses, got dressed and went Elk hunting.

Tent camping is great, as long as you have a good heater, and a good cot with a thick foam pad. I have lived for weeks in my wall tent, and always enjoy it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have slept outside in every possible configuration during my life. I prefer my travel trailer with a bed, AC and a heater now. It's not that I can't or wont sleep on the ground but I have done it enough that I feel I've earned my comfort in old age!

clv

Dec 23, 2012
santee, ca
Detector(s) used
Current Detectors; Minelab Safari, Equinox 600
TRX Pin Pointer, Fisher 1235x
Have owned; Minelab Eureka gold,
Tesoro Compadre, White's MX5, GMT, MXT Pro,
fisher cz7a pro, go fine 20, Garret Ma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to tent camp, RV's just can't get to most of the places I would like to go, and I just hate to pull a trailer of any kind.
My friends refer to my style as "Glamping". I cram every thing I think I need into my Ranger 4x4 go out to my prospecting place and setup camp, I am not a backpacker!
If I can't drive my truck there I don't go there. I have the best canvas tent you can buy and it's made in America, and cot, thick pad, heater, and etc. etc. I like to be comfortable.

ranger2.jpg 0121151328.jpg 0121151548.jpg
Here are a few pics of the tent when I first got her. After the tent is staked down, it takes about a minute to stand her up, then if you want the awning up add a couple of minutes more.:coffee2:

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold maven, good story, I like it and had a good laugh at the end, thanks.

I like tent camping but in bear country I gotta have something more bear proof. lol

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clv, I will be visiting santee next week for a few days [ visiting friends there ] are you going to be around or in the field?

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like most everyone tent camps. I use to but after a while my back couldn't handle it
any more. Even with a air mattress. My family and I didn't want to stop camping so we
bought a travel trailer.

Only nice hotels at this point...

Joseph08

Nov 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use tent camp since if find it very comfortable. Always had a great time under my tent in a far exciting location.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I lay my bedding on a tarp and sleep on that with my dog next to me. Tents take too long and it sucks to set up every weekend.
If I get cold or it rains I'll roll up in the tarp like a burrito and it works fine. I do like a nice air mattress tho.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
Years ago Dad and I were setting up our homemade wall tent in the Colorado Rockies for the Muzzleloader Elk season, when a couple guys on their way out stopped to warn us about a bear that had been wrecking their camp the past week.

We thanked them, and chuckled, we had a bear tag too, and would welcome a bear that we wouldn't have to pack back to camp.

Later that day another group of hunters moved in, and put up an electric fence corral for 2 horses right beside our tent. We hoped we would be the only other hunters there, but one more group wasn't bad.

Two or three days later I wake up with a start at about 3 am, the horses are going nuts, I ask the old man whats goin' on, and he said I bet that bear is back.

All of a sudden the horses take off, we hear the wire from the electric fence zinging through the trees, and then silence.

We had set our ice chest right outside our tent flap, under a small overhang. We also had a blue tarp down, to help keep the tent clean.

I light the lantern, and start thinking about how I'm going to shoot a bear in the dark, when we hear heavy, slow footsteps on the blue tarp. Dad and I look at each other, he pulls out his 357 from under the pad on his cot, and hands it to me.

By this time the animal stops right outside the tent flap, I imagine a huge bear sniffing the ice chest. I cock the hammer, grab the flap with one hand, and get ready to open it.......identify my target, and shoot as fast as possible.

I throw the flap back, and instantly A BIG BLACK HORSE HEAD COMES into the tent. Pure, sweet adrenalin. Thank God I didn't shoot it.

That was the end of it, woke up the guy with the horses, got dressed and went Elk hunting.

Tent camping is great, as long as you have a good heater, and a good cot with a thick foam pad. I have lived for weeks in my wall tent, and always enjoy it.
another wonderful story. i just about whizzed my drawers reading it ? i could'nt of taken the suspense in real time

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
The sad thing is - there are many families that are only one paycheck away from living on the streets.

Living from paycheck to paycheck - is a tough way to sleep at night.

I have to admit - the closest I ever got to living on the streets is when I went to Woodstock. :dontknow: :help: :laughing7:

Does living in your car for 2 months count?

Beth

no ! you at least have to attempt sleeping in your car when it goes below zero. then you know you've lost your will.faith. trust. spirit...........................what else am i forgetting ?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a tent for every season. When I first started hiking the Sierras I put a tarp on the ground and I was good to go. Then I started camping later in the year so to keep the rain or snow off of me I used a plastic tube tent. After awhile I just got tired of the bugs at night and purchased my first tent and I've never looked back. I have a one man tent & a two man (person) tent both are three season tents and a 2 1/2 person four season tent. If it could rain I also put up a tarp so I've a large dry area just outside of the tent.

Empty quart Gator Aid bottles are real handy. I have a special spot in the tent where my revolver lives and it is Always there. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I just put my hand over and I'm right on top of the revolver. It works for me...............63bkpkr

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loved sleeping out under the stars when I was younger. A few years ago I talked my family into backpacking way back into the backcountry in Colorado. We set up camp under the stars and I assured everyone everything would be fine. Sure enough in the middle of the night my wife wakes me up with “ what’s that noise?” I tell her nothing and it will go away. After a while she convinces me to turn on my flashlight and there is a baby skunk with its tail aimed right at us. We ducked under our sleeping bags and awaited the worst, but it wanders off after a bit. It turns out they can’t spray when they are young. We have a vw camper we love and take everywhere! My boys sometimes set up a tent, but love the van.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread