Doing a lot of digging, but still no silver?

panchoveeya

Feb 5, 2013
northern california
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today for my 3rd time with my Platinum and found many coins but no silver.lol. I hit a local park that has been around since the 20's. But no luck, maybe a better detector? Better depth? Now I have a question for you silver finders. I know all detectors are different, but in general, when you get a silver or gold signal it should be a solid hit right? Or will it be a mixed signal jumping all over the place? I'm just curious because I don't dig too many of those jumpy ones. Dug over a hundred plugs today, knees and back hurt :sadsmiley::sad1::sad1::sad1: Im only 28! Anyways here's my finds. Nothing special. That button looks kind of old, but no marks whatsoever. DSC03646.JPGDSC03654.JPG

Upvote 5
I would say that's a good amount of coins for how many plugs you dug. Unless you hunted all day and covered a lot of ground. I would say your park hasn't been hunted much lately. It could be the newer stuff that would be closer to the top might be "masking" the older items down deeper. On my detectors if I have a silver coin at 6" and pull tabs and other junk above or very close to it its going to give me a jumpy silver signal. Or a coin on edge or that's deeper in the ground. Both will give a weaker signal possibly jumpy signal. I would dig them. Gold is harder because its not as conductive as silver. Gold reads the same as pull tabs and other common trash. If ya want to find gold your going to dig a zillion pull tabs and other junk.

Went out today for my 3rd time with my Platinum and found many coins but no silver.lol. I hit a local park that has been around since the 20's. But no luck, maybe a better detector? Better depth? Now I have a question for you silver finders. I know all detectors are different, but in general, when you get a silver or gold signal it should be a solid hit right? Or will it be a mixed signal jumping all over the place? I'm just curious because I don't dig too many of those jumpy ones. Dug over a hundred plugs today, knees and back hurt :sadsmiley::sad1::sad1::sad1: Im only 28! Anyways here's my finds. Nothing special.

well, panchoveeya keep digging and silver will come sooner or later, i found silver coins on my 4 ever hunt, so maybe u will also :), and i was have also pain in legs and back at the start of my diging (and im to new to this hobby) but when u get into form then its no problem.
good luck in finding your first silver! 8-)

I would say that's a good amount of coins for how many plugs you dug. Unless you hunted all day and covered a lot of ground. I would say your park hasn't been hunted much lately. It could be the newer stuff that would be closer to the top might be "masking" the older items down deeper. On my detectors if I have a silver coin at 6" and pull tabs and other junk above or very close to it its going to give me a jumpy silver signal. Or a coin on edge or that's deeper in the ground. Both will give a weaker signal possibly jumpy signal. I would dig them. Gold is harder because its not as conductive as silver. Gold reads the same as pull tabs and other common trash. If ya want to find gold your going to dig a zillion pull tabs and other junk.[/

Well put!

You have to dig some of the iffy signals to "learn your machine" I think your in a good spot just because there are allot of coins there. I know a couple of my spots I had to keep going over the same areas to thin out the signals/get rid of the trash, then I found silver. What are the dates ranging in your coin finds, are you close to or older then 1964? I always try to keep in mind how small a silver coin is and how really easy it is to miss one. Did you find any wheat pennies? If I find a silver, wheat, or coin close to or in the "range" I will slow down my swing, and tighten up my search area around that find. I can't remember whose signature it is but it goes something like this " if your not finding what your looking for, look somewhere else". In researching sites, I figure, if I can pull out of my pocket a date range of fifty years on any given day. Then if someone had built and lived in a house in 1920, then in any given day they might of had that fifty year range in there pocket. (1870-however long they lived in that house)

Good luck and keep on digging. That is allot of coins you found!

Treblehunter, the oldest coin I found was a 1963 penny. I was thinking that it might have been hunted a lot already since it is an old, but still very active park. But you are right, if it was hunted I would't have found so many coins in such little time. Maybe I must clean all the trash first and then go over it again. I didn't even cover that much land, its a huge park too.

Nice finds and a lot of them. On my Explorerll silver is a solid hit unless it is co-located with iron or some other coins.

I find a silver about every hundredth hunt. They are rare birds in my neck of the woods anymore. Do some research on some old well traveled areas and hope no one has beaten you to it.

Don't put a time frame on your silver find... It only took me 15 years to find my first silver :laughing7:. But they have come a lot more often lately just due to learning my machine better and hunting those areas I know can produce silver. Silver will be a very solid signal for you and if you have not already I would get a silver dime and quarter and lay them in the yard. That way you can see how it reacts with your machine, not perfect, and as the others have noted different ground conditions and iron or trash around the target will change it, but this will give you a better idea of what your looking for. Good Luck!!!

Well, you don't seem to be short on ambition--that's good! To add to others' posts, get as much history on that park as you can. Look at old aerial maps if possible http://www.historicaerials.com/ see where any bldgs were, walking paths...natural growth, trees, shrubs, etc. Try and imagine where the people walked, ate, congregated, laid, etc. Check under brush that other hunters may have skipped. Check adjacent wooded areas, etc.

If your park has only been active since the 20s, and silver was minted up to 1963, you have, relatively speaking, a short segment of history to glean from. If you have an opportunity for an older site, maybe churches, schools, private property, etc., that may have been around since the late 1800s or earlier, that would give you a leg up, purely from a statistical viewpoint. I return to my first comment; it's about determination, which you seem to have plenty of, so good luck out there and we look forward to your silver photos soon!

Last edited:
Heh, :laughing7:

I remember those days.... :icon_scratch: I'm sure a lot of people remember my ranting about not finding any silver. It took me two machines, 1 and a half years and $1200 to find my first silver. It will come when your coil gets over the right spot. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Treblehunter, the oldest coin I found was a 1963 penny. I was thinking that it might have been hunted a lot already since it is an old, but still very active park. But you are right, if it was hunted I would't have found so many coins in such little time. Maybe I must clean all the trash first and then go over it again. I didn't even cover that much land, its a huge park too.

If the park is well known it is entirely possible that it has been cherry picked for silver by someone who knows their machine well. Remember, when you see all these claims by people that their machine is a "silver magnet" and/or they talk about the "best silver programs" for their machines they are often cherry pickers who pass over all the pennies and nickles, digging only the desired silver signals. I think if you keep at it you may find some because it truly is hard to "clean out" a park.

You have to spend a lot of time learning your machine and digging a lot of those "iffy" signals to learn what it is trying to tell you.

Go back there and hit some of the overgrown stuff, edges of the park that might of been places of the park they used to use but don't anymore. Or go right close by where you left off and stay in a 15 ft wide by 50 ft long, then do the next 15 X 50 Try to cover every inch, low and slow.

Good luck, let us know when you find it, you will sooner or later.

Don't put a time frame on your silver find... It only took me 15 years to find my first silver :laughing7:. But they have come a lot more often lately just due to learning my machine better and hunting those areas I know can produce silver. Silver will be a very solid signal for you and if you have not already I would get a silver dime and quarter and lay them in the yard. That way you can see how it reacts with your machine, not perfect, and as the others have noted different ground conditions and iron or trash around the target will change it, but this will give you a better idea of what your looking for. Good Luck!!!

Yes. I was actually gonna go do that today. I should have done that from the getgo. Thanks

Thanks for everyone's words of wisdom and motivation. I will definitely post my first and all silvers when I find em. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back