Dominica

Belenus

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I'm doing some research for an article about Spanish wrecks around Dominica. I'm especially interested in the events from 1567. Has anyone here done any searching in the area or is aware of searches in the past? I know that some people were interested in this project but not sure if anything was ever found.

Also - has anyone did research in Archivo de Indias in Seville? How difficult it is in practice, communicating with staff etc? Not sure how much time realistically should set aside for it..

Will be mightily grateful for your help:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Belenus
I have first hand knowledge of the wreck site(s). I have dove the area and within 5 minutes, I found a cannon ball and other interesting things....The bottom is volcanic sand and the water depth drops off quickly from 35' to 100' in two strokes of the fins. Visibility at the times I was there was about 15 feet.The locals there keep a very close eye on the area and finding a place to fill dive tanks without tipping off the locals is possible but extremely difficult to say the least. If you check into any local motel in Roseau (there are a few), there is always someone there watching for unfamiliar faces and within an hour, the entire island knows your there. There is an elderly fisherman close to the dive sites that has two large Galleon anchors and a couple dozen cannon balls in his yard. A well outfitted 100' ship self contained and equipped with enough tanks and a portable filling station, could recover what the native Indians did not. If you do decide to go there and research, there is a wreck not far from a specific dock that you can find gold coins and copper sheathing. Would need to enlist a local fisherman to take you out and recon the area. You can actually see the local wreck site from your motel room!! Good luck!!!

OP
OP
B

Belenus

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many thanks for your answer. I've sent you a PM.

OP
OP
B

Belenus

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A small update: I have done a preliminary search in the Archivo de Indias and could not find a trace of a report about missing ships.. It's a bit weird as there should be some litigation about the lost cargo etc. Is anyone able to shed more light on this story? Anyone heard about this project or was involved in any of the searches?

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
If you are talking about the Juan de Velasco de Barrio fleet, there is a ton load of information.

All these from the Archivo General de Indias (AGI):

"Papeles de armada", CONTRATACION, 2929
CONTRATACION, 58, ramo 1
CONTRATACION, 3910
CONTRATACION, 4346
INDIFERENTE,1966,L.15,F.417V-418V
INDIFERENTE,1966,L.15,F.122V-123V

If you are looking for the alleged shipwrecks, forget them: never happened.

00006Q2A.JPG

A small update: I have done a preliminary search in the Archivo de Indias and could not find a trace of a report about missing ships.. It's a bit weird as there should be some litigation about the lost cargo etc. Is anyone able to shed more light on this story? Anyone heard about this project or was involved in any of the searches?

OP
OP
B

Belenus

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bum Luck. I know it. It is basically a retelling and a summary of a tale from different sources.

OP
OP
B

Belenus

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are looking for the alleged shipwrecks, forget them: never happened.

View attachment 1744307

Can you elaborate? I am looking for the original source of the story about those shipwrecks. According to one version, part of the fleet did sink, although main ships (and the fleet admiral) reached Spain safely.

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
What is the source of your version?

Can you elaborate? I am looking for the original source of the story about those shipwrecks. According to one version, part of the fleet did sink, although main ships (and the fleet admiral) reached Spain safely.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there once was a thread by Dell Winders showing some finds and exploration he did in Dominica... but sadly has passed over the bar recently, so asking him question impossible.

OP
OP
B

Belenus

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there once was a thread by Dell Winders showing some finds and exploration he did in Dominica... but sadly has passed over the bar recently, so asking him question impossible.

Thank you. I looked through his old threads but wasn't able to find any reference to Dominica. I am trying to find the original source of the story of shipwrecks of 1567 but so far had no luck :icon_scratch:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can bring up all of Dell's threads, but it will take time to find the right one.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not in any thread Dell started, must be in other threads somewhere.

Asherr

Greenie
Sep 11, 2019
St Lucia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone here know if the wrecks really did happen? Or any leads on Luisa Navarette ? Some say that's she was a witness and saw the treasures salvaged by the kalinago people, however I can't much find more than that, there's a few statements by unidentifed prisoners as well speaking of treasures piled taller than a mans head....

OP
OP
B

Belenus

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asherr - It doesn't look like the 1567 fleet loss is a legitimate story. I am still looking for "patient zero" who put the story out there :icon_scratch: Having said that, there were definitely galleons wrecked off Dominica, so elements of Luisa (and other witness) story might be true. The question is what what ships, when and where? Love the mystery of it 8-)

SKULLANDXXXBONES - Please check your inbox.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asherr - It doesn't look like the 1567 fleet loss is a legitimate story. I am still looking for "patient zero" who put the story out there :icon_scratch: Having said that, there were definitely galleons wrecked off Dominica, so elements of Luisa (and other witness) story might be true. The question is what what ships, when and where? Love the mystery of it 8-)

SKULLANDXXXBONES - Please check your inbox.

Belenus, I told you in private messages that we have the land and sea target locations in Dominica. Cheers

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Out of range of his long range methods? :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread