What's new

Dont know what it was connected too ?

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,450
Reaction score
925
Golden Thread
1
Location
NY
🥇 Banner finds
1
Don't know what it was connected too ?

Hello All, like the title says , I found this awhile ago and have always wonder what it went too. So if anyone has any ideas that would be great. Thanks for looking and helping if you can.

Bubba65
 

Attachments

  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    29.7 KB · Views: 419
  • 010.webp
    010.webp
    35 KB · Views: 391
Re: Don't know what it was connected too ?

Looks like a pocketbook or book clasp. Late Victorian.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know what it was connected too ?

suspender buckle?
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know what it was connected too ?

1890s+ suspender buckle. I have one just like it except mine has a bird on it.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know what it was connected too ?

Ring type suspender buckle which the style dates back to the mid 1800's :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know what it was connected too ?

Was it Jumbo that got stuffed and put in the Smithsonian? Or does anyone besides me even care? M :icon_scratch: nty
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know what it was connected too ?

Monty said:
Was it Jumbo that got stuffed and put in the Smithsonian? Or does anyone besides me even care? M :icon_scratch: nty
it seems not
Jumbo's skeleton was donated to the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. The elephant's heart was sold to Cornell University. Jumbo's hide was stuffed by William J. Critchley and Carl Akeley, both of Ward's Natural Science, and the mounted specimen traveled with Barnum's circus for a number of years. In 1889, Barnum donated the stuffed Jumbo to Tufts University, where it was displayed until destroyed by a fire in 1975, coincidentally a fate that befell many of Barnum's exhibits during his own lifetime.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbo


The Smithsonian Elephant is known as henry. more properly the Fénykövi Elephant.
http://blog.photography.si.edu/2010/03/22/collections-in-context/

I think Teddy Roosevelt probably shot all the rest of them. ;)
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know what it was connected too ?

I have Teddy's book on hunting in Africa and it is really good reading. In history he is protrayed a great conservationist. However when in Africa he and his son shot anything that walked crawled or flied! They even used horses to chase down game and took as many as 10 or 12 shots to bring down even antelope! But I hated to hear about Jumbo. I often tall my grandkids about this hug elephant that use to be in the circus. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know what it was connected too ?

Roosevelt did more for wildlife than any president since :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know what it was connected too ?

OK I never get the suspender hook ID's right, but I bet I could ID a Teddy Roosevelt. :tongue3: :laughing9:

Yup, a TR:
 

Attachments

  • imgres.webp
    imgres.webp
    4 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know what it was connected too ?

[size=10pt]
Was it Jumbo that got stuffed and put in the Smithsonian?
I thought he got stuffed and shoved inside a giant oven.
Of course,
I could be wrong.
Maybe that was J. Fred Muggs, the chimp.
​
 
Upvote 0
Re: Don't know what it was connected too ?

Thanks everyone for the help you have giving and for those that have looked.

Bubba65
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom