What's new

Double BIG SILVER Weekend

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2014
Messages
10,082
Reaction score
17,067
Golden Thread
0
Location
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a very nice couple of days hunting.

Friday:
I set off early in the morning with Smittyman. We hit a couple of the local small towns, without much success. As we were preparing to leave an especially distressed property, the Deus let out really nice tone, I was certain that it was a can bottom or some other piece of trash, but to my surprise the hole had a '43 Walker in it, the coin is in really nice shape and has a bit of "toning" on it!

Saturday:
I met up with Todd Lipe and Smittyman in the morning. We hunted a house built in the 1930s, and everyone found silver... however, the Deus found more than the etrac and CTX combined... that's odd, huh. I was lucky enough to locate an '03 Barber half, '34 quarter, '43 Merc and a '45 OD Nickel.

We went and hit a local school afterwards, and I was rewarded with a "Kiddiegem" sterling ring. I understand that these were popular prizes on the carnival circuit prior to the 1950s. I also found a gold heart with diamond chip, marked 925 on the back, so I assume it is gold plate over silver... right? I also found a couple of marbles, junk ring and some wheat.

Two half dollars in two days is about as good as I have ever done, especially in the South.

YTD silver coins: 74

Thanks for looking and best of luck on your hunts!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20151122_150143.webp
    IMG_20151122_150143.webp
    81.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20151122_144916_019-1.webp
    IMG_20151122_144916_019-1.webp
    453.7 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20151122_144939_249-1 (003).webp
    IMG_20151122_144939_249-1 (003).webp
    509.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20151121_110014_551-1.webp
    IMG_20151121_110014_551-1.webp
    570.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_20151121_132810_552-1.webp
    IMG_20151121_132810_552-1.webp
    94.3 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_20151122_144736_706-1.webp
    IMG_20151122_144736_706-1.webp
    66.9 KB · Views: 191
  • uncas55kiddiegem.webp
    uncas55kiddiegem.webp
    34.6 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Upvote 100
I will just skip over the "flip" comment. It was priceless though!

Since you like "red mud", here is one for you...I dug this nickel, hoping that it was a buffalo, I wiped it off, only to see that it was silver underneath.. OD nickel! The red mud was absolutely packed onto that coin!

I kinda like the "OD" olive drab , Nickle . lol

A super weekend of finds Tom.
 
Excellent display of silver fortitude. Your skills would easily put you over a 2015 hundred coin count if you had the opportunity to squeeze some of the parks in NYC.
The obverse side of that Walker is incredible. The reverse of that same coin is a heartbreaker.
Congrats on some nice finds.
 
Love the toning on that Walker! Your having a great year! Congrats.
 
Great assortment of finds- love the walker! Congrats!!

-- Jeff --
 
Sweet digs Tom. Big Congrats on the Silver Halves, I'm still looking for my first Barber. Thanks for sharing
 
Wow, nice finds there, I especially like that amazing walker!
 
Very nice finds there. Especially like the detail on the walker! Nice Job:icon_thumleft:
 
Beauty finds Tom. Double big silver over two days is remarkable. Best of luck
 
Damn buddy that is a killer hunt. Great looking coins my man
 
You ignore the " flip " comment while I ignore the nickel comment:tongue3:

Thanks again for those pics while I was stuck at work for 12 hours Saturday lol. You made some great finds. I found one of those kiddie gem rings but didn't know till Treblehunter said that's what it was lol. I like yours much better though.
 
Really Nice Scores Tom! Lots of nice coins! Looks like you had a great time! :icon_thumright:
 
Sweet finds ! Love the half dollars !
Glen
 
Great to see that you had some quality fun over the weekend, congrats on the two silver halves-very nice.:occasion14:
 
Well done Tom! Congrats!!
 
WOW!!! A great couple of hunts with great finds!!! That walker is amazing!!!! I must admit, the son has been finding silver in our spot after our buddy walked over them with his e-trac. Mine hasn't been turned on since getting the Deus!!!! Maybe next spring!!!:icon_thumleft:
 
Nice digs...well done!!!!!!
 
Congratz! That was an AWESOME hunt!
 
Congratulations on twin half's last weekend. That walker is Awesome.
 
Beauty finds Tom. Double big silver over two days is remarkable. Best of luck

Beauty will NEVER find Tom but thanks for the attempt to make him feel better about his appearance.

Still a couple of KILLER two days and I should know - they almost killed me. Todd ain't coin' so good either.
 
Those Halfs are killer!
Love that red soil on the Barber.
You definitely had a good weekend. Its nice to be getting pics from you.
Oh by the way, did you let your friend know about that house you guys found? You know the one, he might just want to FLIP???

That Walker was even more killer before he rubbed that red soil off of it. Don't wipe those nice coins Tom - you've seen 'em before.

Surprisingly our friend seemed somewhat disinterested George!
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom