The Manning times. (Manning, Clarendon County, S.C.), 25 May 1921

Untitled.jpg
Untitled1.jpg
Untitled2.jpg
Untitled3.jpg
Untitled4.jpg
Untitled5.jpg
Untitled6.jpg

The Manning times. (Manning, Clarendon County, S.C.) 1884-current, May 25, 1921, Section One Pages 1 to 10, Image 3 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Trackergd

Jul 1, 2019
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New poster. My brother, father and I wandered the Downingtown farm property off Skelp Level Road from the early 60's until the late 70's. The Summer Camp that owns the property worked with the township around three to four years ago to set up a hiking loop trail that gives a bit more access to the area. About two years ago workers from the camp cleared the vines away from the house foundation, but there are clear warnings about snooping around the house, the spring house and the barn ruins that were still overgrown. Now keeping in mind that the family would have to be able to locate any buried gold without too much effort should it be needed, landmarks become important. With that thought in mind, I have two spots with intact landmarks that would be prime detecting locations. I am pretty sure both the township and the camp would not allow any detecting and would be pretty aggressive in going after anyone who did, so for the time being (unless someone has a bright idea), I have to sit on my hands until I can figure out how to approach the issue. Any located gold would be the property of the Camp with the Township and State Historical Commission getting their fingers into it as well, so the person who located it might get a pat on the back and an article in the paper at best.

Last edited:

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting guy.
But the end result? After hiding in Germany, he eventually returned.
The wife was still alive, and so it's safe to assume wherever she stashed it to hide from the Feds, was retrieved.

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New poster. My brother, father and I wandered the Downingtown farm property off Skelp Level Road from the early 60's until the late 70's. The Summer Camp that owns the property worked with the township around three to four years ago to set up a hiking loop trail that gives a bit more access to the area. About two years ago workers from the camp cleared the vines away from the house foundation, but there are clear warnings about snooping around the house, the spring house and the barn ruins that were still overgrown. Now keeping in mind that the family would have to be able to locate any buried gold without too much effort should it be needed, landmarks become important. With that thought in mind, I have two spots with intact landmarks that would be prime detecting locations. I am pretty sure both the township and the camp would not allow any detecting and would be pretty aggressive in going after anyone who did, so for the time being (unless someone has a bright idea), I have to sit on my hands until I can figure out how to approach the issue. Any located gold would be the property of the Camp with the Township and State Historical Commission getting their fingers into it as well, so the person who located it might get a pat on the back and an article in the paper at best.

Welcome to TNet!
Is/was the Downington property related to this story?

Trackergd

Jul 1, 2019
Downingtown, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNet!
Is/was the Downington property related to this story?

Yes. Bergdoll lived at the Downingtown farm property after being released from prison. Local lore is that a small portion of the gold was used to purchase the farm property and that the remainder is still somewhere nearby.

It is generally accepted that there are three potential cache locations. The Downingtown farm, the Maryland farm and the Dillingersville rail road tunnel, near Vera Cruz, Pa.

The spring house and a small brick structure still stand at the Downingtown farm location. The barn walls still stand but the last time I was there, were still inaccessible. There are the remains of a second farmhouse and barn just South of the Bergdoll farm. In the 60's, there was still a dirt farm road that ran past the farmhouse and barn. It was accessed off of Boot Road just a few yards East of Skelp Level Road and had it's own bridge. The road was slowly wiped away with developments and single family homes over the years.

Last edited:

Richekay

Jul 4, 2019
MontCo, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was also a Bergdoll Estate on West Chester Pike in Marple Township. This site might be the one that is referenced in the first posting of this thread. This estate, I believe, was owned by Grover's older brother who also ran into some trouble but worked things out. Its location is just about the southbound off-ramp of the Blue Route. The building was long abandoned and burned to the ground around 1971-72. The Bergdoll Family also owned an airfield in Havertown, now the site of the Manoa Shopping Center.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread