Dowsing has been studied, and does perform better than chance.

Bill

Mar 19, 2003
Cocoa Beach
Following is just some of the research that I have collected over the years. I am a professional treasure hunter/finder first, and an accomplished dowser second.
" Physical dowsing is a way of being conscious of sensory inputs which are not directly connected to the more cerebral brain functions. Take as an example man's sensitivity to magnetism. The organ most likely to be responsible is the pineal gland . Yet, although contained within the skull, the pineal lies outside the brain and has no direct contact with the brain; in fact there are no direct nerve connections. So the pineal must communicate with the lower brain, which means the sensations rise up not as 'rational thoughts' but as subconscious 'urges', 'moods' or whatever other word one wants to use.. In the case of dowsing, clearly the subconscious brain (not mind) is, in some way, able to alter muscle tension in the shoulders and arms, giving the characteristic crossing of angle rods, or the change in rotation of pendulums.
Yet the same, or similar, channels must also be used by other 'subconscious' stimuli for them to be 'felt'. Among these may well be a variety of 'psychic' perceptions. Anyone who has become used to using dowsing tools may find that the same techniques work well for 'psychic' explorations, such as dating artifacts, map dowsing, and such like. But, although the manner of bringing the raw impulse through to conscious perception may be the same, this does not mean that the origins are the same. Physical dowsing may, for instance, be linked to the magnetic sensitivity of the pineal, whereas 'psychic' sensations may emanate from quite different organs.
Becker and Marino, who state that not all information gathered by the usual senses is processed at the conscious level, and there is no physiological principle that would preclude the subliminal detection of EMFs [electromagnetic fields] by the nervous system."
Some of the above was taken from Electromagnetism and life, Robert O. Becker and Andrew A. Marino, State University of New York Press, 1982
This is a small spattering of information that I have found while researching ?consciousness? and it?s relationship to PSI The research and laboratory work in this field has been undertaken by colleges, universities, scientific, and government professionals all over the world for over 100 years. In every avenue of this research (of which dowsing is a part), the field work and lab work has shown consistently that PSI phenomena has performed better than random chance. (Some far better)

As an aside:
A question put to 1973 Nobel Peace Prize winner for physics, Professor Brian Josephson of Cambridge.? Is it a realistic question that man might be a thought-form in a universe that was made of thought?? His answer was, ?It has been suggested by some people that the universe is made of thought. The scientist says everything is made up out of fields. It?s somewhat parallel that a field might be a thought and then you could arrive at the conclusion that everything is made of thought. Certainly things are not made up out of particles, so I think to show it was made up of thought, you?d need to show that something like a thought process was going on, and we really don?t have that picture yet. But we do have some sense that observation might help to construct reality, and that comes close to the idea that thought is involved in the nature of reality.?
A thought is energy that causes neurons in the brain to fire in certain patterns. That firing produces tiny currents along definite paths in the brain cortex that can be picked up with sensitive instruments through electrodes on the surface of the skull. This thought that starts out very tiny will or can develop into a full blown thought producing at least a 70 millivolt potential somewhere in the cortex. It fires the first neuron, which in turn causes others to fire in a certain sequence. In this universe, no energy is lost. If we can pick up the current produced by the thought outside of the head, it means that the energy of that thought was sent in the form of electromagnetic waves, and at the velocity of light into the environment. Since energy can?t be destroyed, that thought remains in the universe, and might or might not impinge on someone for whom it was created.

Why dowsing works in controlled tests and not in actual circumstances of unknown "treasures" is a mystery that needs to be studied. So far, I can not find any reference to THIS type of study.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
from miller ''I'm aware of dowsing being studied, and dowsers being tested, but I'm not aware of any results that were better than chance. Or, are you speaking of anecdotal accountings?''
you evidently have overlooked the many posts i have made in reference to studies on dowsing, as almost every one of them came to the conclusion that dowsing does work better than chance, and several proved it worked better, faster, in less time, and much cheaper than equipment costing thousands of dollars........i would reference the posts for you but as i have done this many times for you and your aliases already, yet you seem to not have bothered to read them, i won't waste time doing it again........try doing a little research before bothering us with your know it all bull, it would be appreciated, by many more than me i'm sure..........gldhntr

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
arts frame prevents any ideomotor effect from happening, yet rods will still react karl...........simple...............................................gldhntr

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
taking the operator away from the dowsing rods is the same as taking the batterys out of the detector,,,without which, it does not work.......................gldhntr

DoctorDan

Sep 21, 2005
Missouri
Bill, late reading this but I like it! I've seen a couple articles similar to this line of thought before and I'll have to get back to them as I've always enjoyed looking at things 'on the edge' of dowsing. Ever read "Psychic Discoveries behind the Iron Curtain"? Interesting book.

As for the holes in scientific definitions of dowsing, instead of looking for answers (and that may be a dead end) why not do what Kansas did, blame it on "Intelligent Design"? Fills in the gaps, so to say, so you don't have to argue the finer points where technology isn't advanced enough to get the answers. Then we can plod along on the same course we've already taken instead of considering the possibility that a lot of the "Physics" we know is wrong.
As for whether dowsing works or not, I have no arguement.

Thanks for the prod. ;)

HH

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
karl, you have evidently mistaken my post....dowsing will not work without a dowser. just like your detector will not work without a battery pack.......the dowser is the power behind dowsing, just like a battery......this has not a thing to do with your ideomotor effect, as can be proven using arts set-up which effectively stops any hand movement from causing the reaction......yet it still happens......whether the dowser is actually powering the rods or just acting as a ground to earth i can not say, do not care, only know that the reaction happens without the ideomotor effect that evidently means so much to you and your excuses as to why it won't work.....several of us here have proven this to ourselves, and your constant whining about it will not change what we know, and what you could prove to yourself if not for the mind being closed or too short to comprehend........show your actual proof to back all your large claims, and when you realize you can't, come on back and tell us your ''truth about dowsing'' a few hundred more times, you still will not change our minds, and will only succeed in showing the ones here that do not already know, what you are made of..............................................gldhntr

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
karl, i do hope you read the rest of the post of mine you quoted above. the part between the one sentance you quoted and my name,,,the part you have so much problem with....the truth...........................................gldhntr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread