JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I found an old US Large Cent this week with almost no detail to be seen. I could only see a nose on the front, indicating a Draped Bust, and a tiny bit of wreath on the back...I was very disappointed since I've never found one of these in good shape and I came close to just storing it away.... then I came across a June 19, 2006 post from T-netter Don in SJ on "Cleaning Large Cents" with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. I was amazed at the detail brought back to life by the process and now there is quite a bit of detail on the front and even more on the reverse. I still can't get the exact date, I think it's either a 1797 or an 1807 since those would be the only two dates with what I think is a 7 at the end.
Sorry I didn't take a before photo...I wasn't very optimistic.--JB

Attachments

• IMG_1405.PNG
    IMG_1405.PNG
    494.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1404.PNG
    IMG_1404.PNG
    507.6 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 18
that looks like a good candidate for electrolosis, would probably get a date and alot more detail

Nice work cleaning that beauty!

-- Jeff --

Doing the happy dance for you.

Love the old coppers...congratulations! :occasion14:

Nice find - the hydrogen peroxide bath seem to have caused no harm. Do you have a photo from before the bath?

Maine_Jim

Lovely yet crusty old copper penny. I love them big old coppers and they are difficult to find in my area. I hope you can get a date. Congrats.

Nice find - the hydrogen peroxide bath seem to have caused no harm. Do you have a photo from before the bath?

Maine_Jim
No I didn't take a before photo, I thought for sure that the coin wouldn't come out any better.....and most likely worse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back