What's new

Draped bust LC Machin mills copper bird bands and more

trapperart

Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 12, 2015
Messages
16,165
Reaction score
13,042
Golden Thread
2
Location
Maryland's eastern shore
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
whites MXTPro whites MXSport
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found these things today at one of my favorite sites, have found many great coins and artifacts there. I know the LC is a draped bust and I think the other copper is a Machin mills counterfeit. Opinions welcome. Good luck to all. Art
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0208.webp
    DSC_0208.webp
    137 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0207.webp
    DSC_0207.webp
    115.5 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0206.webp
    DSC_0206.webp
    186.1 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_0205.webp
    DSC_0205.webp
    122.5 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC_0204.webp
    DSC_0204.webp
    153.5 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 18
Nice copper there is a bird band database that you send the number into and it tells you what kind of bird it was on..It also asks the general location to track migration and they send you a certificate!
https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/

~Blaze
 
nice one's trapper.
 
Nice collection of finds. Too bad the soil is so harsh on copper coins. You may know this already but the item on the far left in your group shot is a flattened aluminum spout from a Mortons salt box.
 
I don't think there is enough of the halfpenny to tell if it is a Machin's or not, for every Machin's there were hundreds of other counterfeits. That is about how old copper comes out of the ground where I hunt!
 
Nice set of finds! Congrats on the coppers. Well done.
 
Good finds, Art. Interesting way the hole was placed in the large cent. Usually just a crude circular hole. Wonder if that one was done with a square nail?
 
Nice variety Art,, I have found some old coppers in different parks in the city. I find that the closer they are to paved walkways, the worse off they are when they come out of the ground. I believe it is because of the salt that is put down to melt the snow in the winters.
Congrats on a good hunt.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom