DREAM Vacation

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Long read, long vacation, a fair amount of silver with a couple of very cool coins - totals at the bottom if you want to skip the read.

I took a 3 week vacation in July primarily to see family. I knew we'd be covering a lot of ground so I set two CRH goals for the trip, find silver in each of the 4 states we were planning on visiting and find 100 total silvers for the trip. The wife thought I was insane for the 100 silver goal but I figured we'd be hitting some less pressured area and if we buy enough halves we'd get there.

The first day hunting I had about 2 hours free and hit some banks in a small town. Found 1 or 2 here and there and then hit a SOLID ROLL!. It had 8 - 90%ers, 11 - 40%ers and an 80%er ('66 Canadian half). This was my first solid roll and my first foreign coin found hunting halves. Check state 1 off the list.

Went to state two and only had about 3 hours in total to hunt. Found a bank that had taken their $1,000 bag off the counter, was scheduled to ship it out tomorrow but would be happy to sell it to me as long as I promised not to bring them back. In the car I was able to see 2 - 40%ers through the plastic so I knew at a minimum I was able to mark state 2 off the list. In total we found 12 - 40%ers and the 7 year old pulled a '53-D out of the bag. Also found 2 Mexican One Peso coins from the '80's and an Australian coin with a 20 on it. My 2nd, 3rd and 4th foreigns found hunting halves.

Traveled back into state 1 and stopped at a bank in a grocery store. Asked for halves and I could see Excalibur (that's what I named it) shining back at me as they were counting out the ~$15 in loose halves. Grabbed the '02-S 90%er (my first modern silver proof) and was ecstatic. Shortly after the 7 year old found a '66 5 Dong coin from Vietnam as the 21st coin in a CWR. Very odd to find a small irregular coin like that in a CWR. Our 5th foreign while hunting halves.

Made it into state 3 and had found a total of 1 - 40%er, check state 3 off the list. As we were leaving a hotel one morning we stopped at a bank but the lobby wasn't open yet. As we drove around the bank we noticed that the drive in was open so we pulled in. They said they had $100 in halves but that they were in a bag so we'd have to take them all (aw shucks...). Takes about 5 minutes to get the bag but as my wife is grabbing the bag out of the drive through tray she says "I can hear them in there!". We pulled 7 - 90%ers and 12 40%ers out of the bag. Not bad for $100.

Went to another bank and bought $200 that a customer brought in. Turned out to be 20 mint wrapped NIFC rolls. Six each '09-D & P, two each '06-D and '04-D, one each 02-D, 06-P, 02-P and '03-P. Not really sure what to do with them but I thought it was a cool hit. If anyone has thoughts here please share them.

Entered state 4 with 88 total silvers and a plan that allowed next to no time to hunt coins. On the drive to our destination city I went into a bank and was standing in line when a helpful bank employee came over and asked if she could help. Normally I say I'll just wait for a teller but for some reason I told that we were looking for halves. She brought me over to her desk and said she had $12.00. As she was counting them out $1 at a time there were 11 consecutive 'clinks' and then a 'clank'. Looking at the 'clank' I see Independence Hall staring back at me! Could it be? I pocket the coins with out inspection. In the parking lot I realize that the 'clank' was a silver '76-S in great shape clanking against a typical '67. I'm ecstatic again and state 4 is off the list but I also realize that I'm not going to hit my 100 silver goal. 3 days pass with no hunting (though I observe that in certain areas of the country banks are open all day on Saturday and a part day on Sunday, very lucky for you guys).

We're flying out Tuesday early AM. Monday 4pm hits and we're wrapping up for the day. I tell the wife we need to go dump the halves we still have. Get the dump bank and it doesn't close 'til '6pm and there are a couple of banks in the area including another grocery store branch in the same parking lot as the dump bank. I grab the 5 year old and head into the grocery store, ask for halves and I get a single clad half. The 5 year asks if he can check the coinstar, of course I say yes and he finds nothing. Walking back now across the front of the store the teller who sold me the clad half sees me and asks "Hey, he's got two rolls if you want them" pointing to a different teller. This other teller has opened one end of a CWR and is looking into the roll, confused. I can see a reverse Walker ender. Uh yeah, I'll take em both, that'll be great. Give him a $20 and head out the door. I recheck the end outside to make sure I wasn't seeing things and sure as heck it's a Walker. I close it up and open the other side, ANOTHER WALKER REVERSE! I show the 5 year the ends and then close it up. I open the 2nd roll and both ends are clad, it's a skunk. Back to the first roll, I dump it out into the 5 year olds hands thinking I had a solid Walker roll coming. The roll totaled out to 5 Walkers, 5 64's, 6 - 40%ers and 3 clad (one coin short, I didn't complain). Obviously you can't be disappointed with a haul like that but I was sure that it was going to be a solid Walker roll...... Oldest Walker was an '18-D, my oldest CRH silver (have an '02 Indian for overall oldest) and tied my record for largest date gap between adjacent coins at 55 years with a '41-S next to a '96, tying a '53 next to an '08-P from 2 months ago. 16 silvers put me at 106 silvers making this a DREAM vacation according to the standards often discussed here. We'll ignore the fact that I went through $8,991.50 worth of halves on of the trip.

So, in total.....
$8,991.50 hunted, all halves
1918-D
1941-S
1943-S
1953-D
8x1964
14x1964-D
6x1965
9x1966
1966 Canadian Half (80%)
28x1967
20x1968
12x1969
1976-S Silver
2002-S Silver
106 Total Silver

'72-S clad proof
'80-S clad proof
'83-S clad proof

400 rolled NIFC's
46 loose NIFC's

5 foreigns (2 Mexican, Canada, Australia, Vietnam)

Also found 12 drilled halves which I keep.

The 7 year old also found a '28-S wheatie in some change which was a good hit (only ~17 Million minted I think).

I got a call when I was out there I needed to fly to Louisiana for 2 days instead of flying home. Yesterday while in Louisiana I turned 90 free minutes and $200 in CWR into 4 - 40%ers. (A state 5 bonus). A teller from home called me and said she had some halves and big dollars for me. Picked up $70 in CWR and $22 in big dollars on the way home from the airport today. The big dollars were in a standard white bank change envelope so I can't actually see the coins. The teller says to me "those might be worth some money, they're very old!" I play it cool but am stoked, expecting to see a stack of Morgans and Peace dollars staring back at me. When I get outside I realize that apparently IKE's are 'very old' to some people. Oh well, I did scrape a '67 out of the CWR so it wasn't a total loss.

Overall between June and July I've scored silver halves from 8 different US states in 3 different time zones.

Thanks for the read.

Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow awesome story and write up!! Glad you made your goal, and nice scores on that walker roll, and also the 76 S!!! Heck yah.

Sounds like a ton of fun! Congrats!! :occasion14:

HH

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...that is unreal. That gives me some hope for my vacation in August.

Question: when you go to dump at a bank in some other state, is it a bank you have already asked for halves on a previous stop? Or do you ask for halves for the first time and dump the coins on the same visit?

The reason ask is that I feel awkward asking for halves one day and then showing up the next day with $1000 worth, but I still do it. Just wondered what you did in general.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Awsome story Twitch, that was a great vacation! It is a great feeling finding Silver in CWR's, I love it when it happens, though not real often for me, but it has. HH, Maverick.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bravo! I love the story - especially how you kept at it & were able to hit your goal (and a lofty one at that!). Congrats on a sweet cull!

izer54

May 9, 2013
Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was one great trip and score. Congrats! I wish my area had CWR. All banks around here want everything into the machine and will not take CWR..:(

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds Twitch, and thank you for taking the time to write all of that up. Stories like that are what make these forums entertaining!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks to everyone - it was a great time. The solid roll, the '76, the '02 and the 5 Walker roll were all very memorable. Our final city was San Francisco which caused the 7 year old to say repeatedly "we should find a lot of proofs out there..." Love it.

Zero - before we went on the trip I found a large national bank that had branches all along the area, all around the country really. I never picked up and dumped from the same branch but I did pick up from several branches of the dump bank if I didn't have enough to make a dump worthwhile.

Wow...that is unreal. That gives me some hope for my vacation in August.

Question: when you go to dump at a bank in some other state, is it a bank you have already asked for halves on a previous stop? Or do you ask for halves for the first time and dump the coins on the same visit?

The reason ask is that I feel awkward asking for halves one day and then showing up the next day with $1000 worth, but I still do it. Just wondered what you did in general.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Long read but totally worth it. I love reading stories of people finding silver. Better our fellow CRHer family find them then some chump who thinks its just another dime, quarter or half dollar. Just the idea makes me weak in the knees.

Sincerely, GarouLady

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
Crazy you were able to make that goal of 100 silvers...and in dramatic fashion at that. It wasn't like you got 100 40%'s or anything. Good thing your 5yr old wanted to check the coinstar. Thanks for the writeup. HH Sleepy :sleepy2:

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Crazy you were able to make that goal of 100 silvers...and in dramatic fashion at that. It wasn't like you got 100 40%'s or anything. Good thing your 5yr old wanted to check the coinstar. Thanks for the writeup. HH Sleepy :sleepy2:

Thanks. It's amazing the little things that can make a huge difference between great numbers and skunks. I was at another bank and they had a few halves but no keepers but they said teller X just got quite a few halves and some IKE's earlier in the day but she ran out for a minute and should be back in about 10 minutes if I wanted to wait. We were traveling so I took what they had and left. Maybe we just missed $300 face in Barbers and $100 in Morgans or maybe we missed picking up $1,200 in someones dumps, you really just never know....

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I really enjoy these kinds of stories. It's great you managed to achieve that goal of 100 silvers. The Australian coin is a 20 cent coin, and I would recommend eBaying the NIFC rolls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread