What's new

Driveway find, NOT what you might think.

wettpaint

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Just to let you know that you don't have to go very far to find the good stuff, at least that is what my wife is saying now.

My son, who will be 3 in July, wanted to go tecting this Sunday, so I thought that we would mess around in the yard for a little while.

There used to be a home place between my house and the road. I say "used to be" because when we built our place we cut the hill down around 5' and scattered the dirt over 3 acres.

Like I said my 2 yr old and I were working our way across the yard, a place we have hunted many times. Nothing notable mostly nails and other odd iron signals. I dig a plug and let him pick through it until he pulls out the find. Boy does he get excited for whatever he comes up with. Well this time we were crossing our gravel drive way and I get a 74 VDI on the MXT. Here I go hacking through the gravel. My drive is what we call “reclaimed concrete” it is mixture of what is dropped or leftover at the concrete plant from a concrete batch before the water is added. It has a lot of gravel, sand and cement. Needless to say it is quite hard. So here I go still hacking with my Fiskar garden knife trying to loosen it up enough for little man to come and dig up some “monies”. I cannot pinpoint it well, but the MXT keeps showing as a penny. Now time for the big guns, I go after the spade or “sharp shooter” whatever you want to call it. I start to ream out a pretty good hole, gravel is flying everywhere. I am going to find that penny before it is over with, there might not be anything left but little man is getting that penny. I get the hole pretty good size now, hit is again with the MXT and get an overload, What the heck??? An over for a penny, maybe a piece of copper pipe from the house during construction.

Getting discourage from the hacking and not finding that stinking penny or piece of pipe I stick the Fiskar in one more time and hit something metallic. I kind of poke it a time or two trying to find the edge so I can pry it out. And up pops this beauty. Boy was I surprised.
I put a small scratch on the back and nicked the edge when I pried it out of the drive but other than that it is in good condition.

It is amazing that I did not destroy in after moving all the dirt with a tractor and box blade and an old Cat D6 dozer, shaping my driveway twice adding gravel and other material both times. I have lived in this house for 5 years and never thought that my CS buckle was literally under my feet each time I walked to the mail box or drove to work.

Happy Hunting
Wettpaint
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0135.webp
    IMAG0135.webp
    22 KB · Views: 4,437
  • IMAG0136.webp
    IMAG0136.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 4,386
  • IMAG0137.webp
    IMAG0137.webp
    43 KB · Views: 4,387
  • IMAG0139.webp
    IMAG0139.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 4,378
  • IMAG0141 small.webp
    IMAG0141 small.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 4,373
Upvote 0
I see about 20 civil war battles in MS with about 7 in the northern part. Let me know what city you live in?
 
:o :o :o :o :laughing7: Incredible !!! just never know :laughing9:
 
i just love your story!!!!!
 
EHH!!! CS stands for "Common Stuff". I'd throw that in the brass scrap bucket. ;D Too bad you are a new member as it may be on THE BANNER otherwise. :notworthy:
 
So when are you gonna tear the driveway up and pave it ;D Unbelievable!!!!! You should listen to son more often,Congrat's :icon_thumright:
 
Congrats! That is an awesome find and in your own yard at that.
 
So what kind of depth were you getting for that "penny" when you first pinpointed it?
 
That should be on banner.
Dman
 
Thats great, 2 years ago I found both a US buckle and breast plate in my back yard within 2 days of each other, they considered puting mine on banner but it never made it, yours is a more rare of a plate tho, Congrats to you :thumbsup: great find.
 
Oh!
That is fantastic and a banner for sure. :hello2:
Amazing where we find the se plates...Isn't it?

And such good shape.

You got my vote.

Mike
 
creeper71 said:
oh sh$t! your right not what I was expecting.. thought for sure you found old large cent!!!

Yeah! I second that.
 
Now son you can't have this is Daddy's. Now Son, do you know how to call 911? Daddy's having problems with his heart becuase he missed this so much. :laughing7:
I think if you can find one of those maybe I can... Who knows.
 
nice CW relic!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF
 
I am green :alien: with envy.


Good job on staying determined and getting it out of the hard packed gravel. Some people would have left it there, but then again, some people don't have a CS Buckle. :thumbsup:



Congratulations!!!!!

Baldingboy
 
That is so amazing!! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom