What's new

Dual rimfire cartridge? Henry ~ Spencer??

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Joined
Jul 24, 2006
Messages
4,601
Reaction score
953
Golden Thread
0
Location
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this cartridge at the old mid to late 1800's site.

It has rimfire marks on BOTH sides. :icon_scratch:

It measures about 12mm X 18mm (large rimfire cartridge)

Is it an old Henry or Spencer?
 

Attachments

  • 100_2328.webp
    100_2328.webp
    10 KB · Views: 583
  • 100_2332.webp
    100_2332.webp
    6 KB · Views: 359
hey thrillatthahunt,

I love finding those old black powder rimfires. I've been accruing quite a few myself.

As far as your question goes...both the 1866 Winchester and the .44 Henry used a double striking firing pin. The old black powder rimfire cartridges were notorious for not firing, hence the design. Some have been found with several "sets" of strikes on the same round.

HH,
BW
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys, learned something. Been around firearms a bit & shot
many modern style black powder handguns & rifles, never knew about
the double firing pin. Thanks. This is a great site to learn something new.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks BW,

I appreciate the info! A while back at the same site I found (what was identified here) a .32 caliber rimfire 1862 S&W shell.

Gotta love the history!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom