✅ SOLVED Duck call? Powder Horn? What is this?

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this at my local Flea market today and am trying to figure out what it is. The person who I got it from said that when he bought it, he thought it was a duck call but quickly realized that there is no way to make a sound with it! He had no idea what was. The top and bottom may be silver or silver plated. They are engraved in a bunch of shapes and on the bottom, there is the head of a duck (hence why he thought it was a duck call). The middle bit I think is horn. There is a mark on it that I believe reads 6KXK. If you know what that means please tell me. Any info on this piece is greatly appreciate. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

This was the closest thing I could find to it and it does not have very much info with it. https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/antique-metal-bone-duck-powder-horn-346-c-82648b6aa2

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a bit more research and I think it is a Russian drinking horn. Many were in the same style and had a bird figure on the end. Here is a very similar one on treasure net with some good info. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/301505-vintage-drinking-horn-soviet-silver.html
The KXK is the date code. The 6 means that mine was made in 1966. It also seems like the metal is most likely a silver alloy of some kind.

Yep... agree with that. There's a very similar item here (eBay listing no longer retrievable, but archived on 'pickclick'):

Horn.jpg

I doubt that it's as 'antique' as the seller's listing claimed, or that it's sterling silver. Seems to have sold for 37GBP ($50)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread