Dumb Luck ?

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
Thought Id brave the cold and frozen ground today and try a new spot, a gravel pit from the 1800s. The area is pretty beaten up from people tearing it up offroading, but thought Id take a look and see if I could find some copper. I was in a hurry cause it was cold and just wanted to see if there was anything in the area. I checked out the tire ruts and got a hit, I was smart and used my rock pick to chip away at the frozen ground not thinking that I would hit whatever was down there. I lost the single so I looked around the hole and as luck would have it I dug up a 1851 one cent piece that I didnt hit with the rock pick and its in great shape. I guess dumb luck was on my side today.
The one thing I wanted to find this year was and old coin, thought Id never find one, but I did and now its going to be even harder to put down the detector, now I just need a blowtorch to thaw the ground so I can dig ;D

This may be a dumb question, but what is it made of ? It came up as 50cent/$1 on my detector (whites prizmII).

Attachments

• pen1.jpg
    pen1.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 463
  • pen2.jpg
    pen2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 472
Upvote 0
Beautiful coin! This is a large cent, made of copper, and I've never dug one that pretty. Mine are usually so bad that I'm fortunate to get a date off them. My XLT identifies them as quarters (I've found 5).

Johnny Bravo said:
This may be a dumb question, but what is it made of ? It came up as 50cent/$1 on my detector (whites prizmII).

Nice one, JB! Composition: copper. Weight: 10.89 grams.

Thank - you , really, it's good to see a large cent from WI. It's the one coin I want to dig, and now I know we're in they're native range. Very cool coin, for a first "old" coin, thats a duesey !!!!

By the way, you are NUTS going out with an MD in this weather, I mean, at least it'll be in the 30s next week.

Beautiful large cent. Thank God you did'nt smash it with the pick. Nice find.
Mike in NJ

Better lucky than good sometimes, congrats ;D

Congratulations on getting that old coin that you wanted before the year was out. And under the circumstances and the tool that you used, that was an awesome recovery. That sure is a very nice looking penny. Definately older than any coin I have found, and much better shape than anything I have from the 1800's. Awesome digs!!!

Postalrevnant

That coin is a real beauty. Looks like a VF or EF from the picture. Plus thats an error year, give it a good look over.

Congratulations
Johnny Cache Hunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back