What's new

Dumbest question ever asked on this forum...Pin pointers

Break down, and buy a Garrett Pro-Pointer. They are just over a hundred bucks. They are built like a tank, and are well worth it if you are serious about metal detecting. There are many wonderful dealers on this site, and they will throw you an excellent deal. I feel naked without mine. It is better to just get a good one to begin with, instead of having headaches with the ones that were not meant for pin-pointing in the first place. Good luck my friend, and happy hunting! :icon_thumleft:
 
After reading all the facts and bull above I think it's times to lay out the reality of a pinpointer. Lets start by defining items. A metal detector locates items in the ground, some even pinpoint to within 1" on the location. You dig the small hole ,usually about 4" in dia. You then get out your pinpointer. It's job is to locate that object in that tight confined area of 4". Now imagine if your pinpointer picks up at 6". Your SOL because it sounds anywhere in the hole! If it picks up at 1" you Mearley move it around in the hole until it sounds, BINGO you found the target.
Get real guys, according to actual measured tests here in T Net, the HF & Garrett both pick up a dime at 1" The big difference is the HF cost about $16 and the Garrett cost $160. My Harbor Freight pinpointer is over a year old and still working. True, I added a bright blue LED that lights when it finds the target. That's another point. You can mod a HF easily for your custom use, but the Garrett has no room for mods and is extremely hard to work on. I must admitt I treat my equipment like electronic instruments not shovels. Frank
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom