What's new

Dumbest question ever asked on this forum...Pin pointers

clovis97

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2010
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
632
Golden Thread
0
Okay, I am about to embarrass myself with this dumb question:

I've read in the past that a stud finder can be used as a low end pin pointer.

Were the posters that said that kidding, or is there some truth to that?

I am brand new to the hobby...look down on me if you wish...I don't own a pin pointer yet, and am hoping to take my 10 year old daughter and a 7 year old nephew out MDing tomorrow after church. I'm hoping to use dad's stud finder if there is a shred of truth to it.

Thanks so much!!!!
 
Obviously you're better of with a purpose designed pinpointer. Yes, it will work, in a pinch. Most stud finders are too awkward and low powered to be of much use. I'd say try it and see if it works for you. I don't think it's a dumb question either. There's nothing wrong with making do with what you have available. But, do save up for a good pinpointer if you feel you need one. Happy Hunting!
 
You can never ask dumb questions when learning this hobby mate. Some of us spend months online reading and watching everything we can, some take the easy route and just ask experienced folk. Either way works.
As the guy above said, you can use them but i can't see them being much use when trying to find something still hiding in a hole wall. Many never use a pinpointer and just wave handfuls of soil/sand over the top of the coil until they find the bit with the target in. (remember not to wear rings or watches on the waving hand lol)
Get a decent pinpointer as soon as possible in my opinion they save a hell of a lot of work and frustration, and get some confidence in yourself and your machine. Nobody here will ever "look down" on you. :wink:
 
I was told the only dumb question is the question that didn't get asked,sure give it a shot the kids will love help looking for the treasure.they be hooked and you won't get a minutes rest,from now on. :thumbsup:
 
Thank you so much!!!!

I'm going to try the stud finder. It is difficult to find stuff sometimes. I'd love to have a nice pin pointer.

Again, thank you!!!!
 
liftloop said:
I was told the only dumb question is the question that didn't get asked,sure give it a shot the kids will love help looking for the treasure.they be hooked and you won't get a minutes rest,from now on. :thumbsup:

The only problem with these kids is that they want to dig every beep!!! Talk about being tired after a 30 minute hunt!!!!
 
Dano Sverige said:
You can never ask dumb questions when learning this hobby mate. Some of us spend months online reading and watching everything we can, some take the easy route and just ask experienced folk. Either way works.

I've spent nearly the entire winter reading about MDing on this forum...as I have other forums for the past 4 years.
 
clovis97 said:
Dano Sverige said:
You can never ask dumb questions when learning this hobby mate. Some of us spend months online reading and watching everything we can, some take the easy route and just ask experienced folk. Either way works.

I've spent nearly the entire winter reading about MDing on this forum...as I have other forums for the past 4 years.
You should then also subscribe to Western & Eastern Treasures for more fun. http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/ There is a wealth of knowledge there that will increase your fun.

Some of the cheap stud finders are just magnets on a pivot for finding the nails in a wall. I used to do pretty will with just a screw driver to probe the ground to locate the coin so I could pop it out of the ground.
 
Go to harbor freight and plop down about $16 and get your pinpointer. It will pick up the same as a $160 pinpointer. Looks just like the Whites pinpointer. Frank
 
Most Harbor Freight Stores have the Stud finder style units in stock (about $20) -- they are good for sweeping over an area to locate something -- have about 2 inch range -- modified unit to have pushbutton switch to turn it on. Read The Directions That Come With The Unit. Units have two controls -- one for metal mode and one for stud locating over sheetrock.

Also block style studfinders at Home Depot.

Harbor Freight Probe style is available on their website.
 
Frankn said:
Go to harbor freight and plop down about $16 and get your pinpointer. It will pick up the same as a $160 pinpointer. Looks just like the Whites pinpointer. Frank

The nearest HF doesn't carry the unit in the store. I was soooo bummed!!!
 
The problem with a magnetic stud finder is that it only finds things that are magnetic. This includes most junk but does not include most of the good stuff you actually want to find.

The Harbor Freight is a good model for the money you pay. You really can't beat it for $16.99. The HF around me also has 20% off coupons all of the time which makes it even better.
 
Frankn said:
Go to harbor freight and plop down about $16 and get your pinpointer. It will pick up the same as a $160 pinpointer. Looks just like the Whites pinpointer. Frank

Show me a stud finder sold by Harbor Freight or any other business for $16 where the sensitivity is adjustible, will pinpoint all types of metal and will pinpoint 6 inches deep....
 
Nope, your question ain't dumb. It might be interestin for someone to do some field tests and compare results between stud finders and pin pointers. The shape of the stud finder might be a hindrance. I couldn't do it, because the stud finders go wild around me. (just jokin)
 
RGINN said:
Nope, your question ain't dumb. It might be interestin for someone to do some field tests and compare results between stud finders and pin pointers. The shape of the stud finder might be a hindrance. I couldn't do it, because the stud finders go wild around me. (just jokin)

ROFLMBO :laughing7:
 
I don't know but I used to have a White's Bullseye and it couldn't even read two inches. Needless to say, I sold it, pinpointing a target gets to be pretty easy with practice. Good luck.
 
Most Harbor Freight store that I have seen do not carry the pin pointer. It is an online order only. Just google them and order one. They are not the best you can get but better than nothing.
 
ok I have some info for you.... I picked up an A4 pin pointer from kellyco for like $50(something)- and it lasted a few months (I killed it working an old church site/ didn't make out too good rocky ground and rough use caused the tip to come off about 2 months in to use, and at that church site I totally broke the thing snapping the plastic rod part off.) I decided to pick up two pin pointers from harbor freight $16 each. good news is they work ok- bad news is don't leave them in your trunk or car if it's hot out- they will tone out as you turn them on -once cooled down they will work again. the heat does something to trip them out. I picked up two as to have one for me and my second (backup) detector. after the heat issue I order a Garrett pro-pointer and got it in before my last two hunts- that thing has a 4-5 inch range and increases in tone and beeps faster as you get closer to your metal target. I don't know how I got along with out it!!!!

it was expensive, at $130 it makes finding coins a lot easier and quicker...so far it's the best pin pointer I have laid my hands on. the only down side is it does eat 9volt batteries, but the job it does I could probably finally use a screw driver to pop coins like the video above, I think it's worth it because it saves me time finding my targets. if no one said buy one of these yet, I'll say it - they are worth it...
 
I have a pin pointer and it would great. I recommend that you buy one.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom