Durham Police Chief: Teen died of gunshot wound to the head....YUP, Right....RJC

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Durham Police Chief: Teen died of gunshot wound to the head

Posted: Dec 11, 2013 3:17 PM EST Updated: Dec 11, 2013 5:10 PM EST
by Justin Quesinberry

Durham Police Chief: Teen died of gunshot wound to the head - WNCT

DURHAM, N.C. -

A Durham teen died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, Durham Police Chief Jose Lopez said Wednesday afternoon at a news conference.

Lopez held a 3 p.m. news conference and started by extending condolences to the family of Jesus Huerta, who died in a police cruiser in November. Huerta was 17.

He said the noise heard by the officer was a gunshot, and said it was a gunshot wound to the head.

Lopez said a handgun was found in the car and that Huerta was still handcuffed from behind. He said the wound was self-inflicted.

"The medical examiner's office has confirmed that Jesus Huerta died from a gunshot wound to his head," Lopez said. "Whether that wound was accidental or intentional is unknown at this time."

Lopez said Huerta was searched, and police are not sure where how he had the weapon.

"I know that it is hard for people not in law enforcement to understand how someone could be capable of shooting themselves while handcuffed behind the back," Lopez said. "While incidents like this are not common, they unfortunately have happened in other jurisdictions in the past."

Huerta's family released a statement following the press conference held by Lopez. The family of Huerta said the press conference did not release any new information to the public.

"How did Jesús end up dead in the parking lot at police headquarters in these circumstances? Searched. Handcuffed behind the back. How is it even possible to shoot oneself?" the statement reads.

The family of Huerta also requested all forms of communication "received, sent, possessed or created by any City of Durham employee and/or city official (including but not limited to the police chief, command staff, city manager, police public relations/press staff) that touch upon or concern the detention, arrest, death and all investigations concerning Jesús Huerta."

Lopez said the SBI is continuing their investigation into the incident for any possible criminal violations, which is standard procedure.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to see a video demonstrating how that is possible

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RJ? better go light on the likes, some may think you are getting soft!!

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
RJ? better go light on the likes, some may think you are getting soft!

I'm too much of a hard azz to go soft.If you have ever been in cuffs you would know that its impossible to shot yourself in the head,even if you had a gun hidden on you.I cant disagree with common sense jeff.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine the physics possible to do such a thing.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt it's likely. I also have always wondered, many times when there is a police shooting they fire like 75 rounds at one person. Can it really take that many shots to disable someone?

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is bad,i am a hard as nails type of guy,but when it comes to my kids i can show a very soft side.i try to do whatever i can to make sure my kid does not end up in the back of a police car,we as fathers have to make sure that does not happen,and the only way to do it is tell them how much you care about them,tell them you love them,help them out all the time.i feel so sorry for the family and i hope the father would not do as i would.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Makes one wonder...

How many 'suicides' were assisted with the help of the people sworn to protect and serve?

Who's next?

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Makes one wonder...

How many 'suicides' were assisted with the help of the people sworn to protect and serve?

Who's next?

Probably more than you or anyone else would care to guess at.Ive seen some fine examples of "To Protect and Serve" in my time.

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
that is bad,i am a hard as nails type of guy,but when it comes to my kids i can show a very soft side.i try to do whatever i can to make sure my kid does not end up in the back of a police car,we as fathers have to make sure that does not happen,and the only way to do it is tell them how much you care about them,tell them you love them,help them out all the time.i feel so sorry for the family and i hope the father would not do as i would.

Sometimes jamey its just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time,I know,I lived it.Thats all it takes unfortunately.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's see RJC. You hate cops, you are upset because a latino criminal was either murdered or shot himself and you, like many of us are very opinionated. Hate to tell you, but you sound like a LIBERAL...

OP
OP
Red James Cash
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Austin who ever said I hate cops lol.My brothers a cop,how can I hate cops.Cops are like politicians,corrupt ones are bad news.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
He was searched earlier and no gun was found at the time? Sounds to me like he was "hit" by someone trying the silence him. Either that, or he went all "Harry Houdini" on himself.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread