E-Trac stock headphones

needle n haystack

Dec 20, 2009
Northern, IL
Detector(s) used
Etrac / ctx 30/30
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I set a record two weeks and my koss headphones are shot. I tried a pair from one of my other detectors and they didn't work on the etrac so I duct taped the plug and finished my hunt. Is there something special about the headphones for the e-trac? Also what brand headphones work the best with this machine.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
there isn't anything special about them. I never did use them. I sold them. I use a set I that I used with my DFX and they work just fine

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing new. Koss makes crap headphones. Went through my first pair within the first two months, then purchased sunday gold pro's. Mr. Sr. uses the grey ghost with his, and we're both happy. Although, I think the connection on mine is starting to go bad on these too already. Woods hunting puts my headphones through a lot of abuse, getting the cord stuck on a branch, etc.

nhagan

Jul 27, 2010
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
sounds like its time to get out the soldering iron and fix up your cans.
i use some audio technica ath-m50's great headphones for both music as well as detecting..

neil

OP
OP
needle n haystack

needle n haystack

Dec 20, 2009
Northern, IL
Detector(s) used
Etrac / ctx 30/30
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I'm going to have to spend the money on a good set of headphones, I'm still recovering from the cost of the e-trac but well worth it!!!!!!
I don't know how you do so well in the woods I hunt an area that should be teeming with coins and I spend a good part of every hunt in the woods but I can't recover a single target I go back to the grass and I'm finding targets again. when is the book coming out LOL. Thanks everyone for the help it's greatly appreciated

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
needle n haystack said:
I think I set a record two weeks and my koss headphones are shot. I tried a pair from one of my other detectors and they didn't work on the etrac so I duct taped the plug and finished my hunt. Is there something special about the headphones for the e-trac? Also what brand headphones work the best with this machine.

Had the same Problem haystack !

I Guess they have a Lifetime Warranty,
But you have to Include $9.00 Everytime
you send them in for Repair. $9.00
every 2 weeks for a pair of disposable
headphones just dosn't sit right with me. :(
They should include a Gross of them with Every detector !!!

I Just recently Bought a pair of Grey Ghosts.
They are good in areas where there is alot of Trash.
Everything sounds Coin size, even Cans.

However Deep coins sound a mile deep & I Wonder what
I'm not Hearing.
Of course I Have '70's Rock Concert ears so I Need
More Volume in hunted hard areas.
I Believe they were made for people who
think Noise is an Enviromental Hazard :tongue3:

for years now I Have been using TROY PRO's
Difference they will Blast your years. a quarter
(Even a dime)
under the grass will blast you & Sound as big
as a Hubcap :headbang: Great for Hammered Sites.
But not sure they can be purchased anymore.
I talked to Troy a couple weeks ago to get
mine repaired. He did it in Record time FREE
but advised me Parts are at a Minimum now.
can only fix what parts he has in stock.
can't order more.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nothing new there. Had a pair of old stereo headphones when I was hunting about 20 years ago. They outlasted half a dozen of the cheapo "MD headphones" I tried during a period of about 10 years. Got my "Rattlers" last year, the one-sided phones. Headband broke off the second time I tried to adjust it. Taped into place and left it. The headphone plug died early this year.

Went back to my cheapo homemade headphones for the rest of the year. Fixed my Rattlers with a new 90° plug and now they're working fine again.

Don't much care for warranties, can't stand the thought of sending them off, paying for the shipping, and getting them back "as good as new" when "new" wasn't all that good to begin with.

So this winter I'll make up some more durable homemade phones and definitely keep 'em with me when hitting the woods.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive used several different brands...my advice pitch the Koss...loose fit and terrible sound...
I use Killer B's as my main phones and set of Gold Pro's as a backup....very little difference...I think all the name brands are about equal....what ever set you buy go with dual volume if you have any hearing problems....

Good luck...

Soup

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Yeah, my Koss died pretty much within the first 3 months. I took them apart, but could never figure the wiring right when installing a new jack. The best I could do was get mono. So I bought a pair of Grey Ghosts. What I like about the Grey Ghosts is they come with a spare cable (which I haven't had to use). That said, I've had my Grey Ghosts for 1 and 1/2 years and the plastic shells are beginning to crack, but I think that was induced by using so much deet in the woods. That stuff eats away at plastic and paint...

As a stop gap, between the Koss and grey ghost, I just used a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and used earbud headphones. I actually had a pair of earbuds that have rubber earplug attachment, and that was good b/c it silences most outside sounds. That also was bad if you are hunting in areas less than safe.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
p2c said:
Yeah, my Koss died pretty much within the first 3 months. I took them apart, but could never figure the wiring right when installing a new jack. The best I could do was get mono. So I bought a pair of Grey Ghosts. What I like about the Grey Ghosts is they come with a spare cable (which I haven't had to use). That said, I've had my Grey Ghosts for 1 and 1/2 years and the plastic shells are beginning to crack, but I think that was induced by using so much deet in the woods. That stuff eats away at plastic and paint...

As a stop gap, between the Koss and grey ghost, I just used a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and used earbud headphones. I actually had a pair of earbuds that have rubber earplug attachment, and that was good b/c it silences most outside sounds. That also was bad if you are hunting in areas less than safe.

You can always do a better job of replacing that headphone plug than the mfr does of creating it for some reason. Just remember Tip/Ring/Sleeve.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
Funny story. I was hunting with Dave Greg and one of the Rockford guys at Jackson park some time ago. I was still learning the etrac and watching the guy from Rockford just smoke us with finding some really nice coins. We all met up and we were showing what we found and I was lite on stuff. He jokingly ( I think) said if I would get some real head phones maybe I could find some coins. We all kinda laughed and started hunting again. He was about 8 feet from me and I got a nice dime signal at 3 inches. I figured it was clad until I saw the silver edge, then I saw the back and thought woohoo barber. I turned it over and it was my first seated dime. I showed it to him and said I guess my headphones are good enough. They were Koss head phones.
I sent those in after I broke the stereo switch. They replaced them and have been using them ever since. That was 3 years ago. I guess I got lucky. TMAN...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Liked my KOSS kellyco sent me with My sovereign in '99
used them right up to the point I won a pair of Troy's
about 3 years ago.

Only problem with the old Koss,
the cups pressed on my ears
not around them.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
about 3 years ago.

not around them.

My gold pros seem to press against my ears as well. After about an hour into hunting, I have to slide them above my ears and crank the volume. Feels like my ears are about to fall off...... and no, I don't have big ears. ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lookn4Seated said:
jeff of pa said:
about 3 years ago.

not around them.

My gold pros seem to press against my ears as well. After about an hour into hunting, I have to slide them above my ears and crank the volume. Feels like my ears are about to fall off...... and no, I don't have big ears. ;D

Yea the Troys Go around mine nicely
but make the ear canal Sweat after awhile.
feel like they are filled with water after
a few hours on hot days.

Bought a pair of Grey Ghost Ultimates recenly,
but they are not loud enough For Most Hunted hard spots.
Called Detectorpro today after getting a warranty Received
Confirmation card, & They Now tell me
They are No good with Minelabs :(
the Volume limiter circuit Counteracts with The Minelabs
Built in Limiter ?
Nice they told me Now that it's too late :-\

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
jeff of pa said:
Lookn4Seated said:
jeff of pa said:
about 3 years ago.

not around them.

Yea the Troys Go around mine nicely
but make the ear canal Sweat after awhile.
feel like they are filled with water after
a few hours on hot days.

Bought a pair of Grey Ghost Ultimates recenly,
but they are not loud enough For Most Hunted hard spots.
Called Detectorpro today after getting a warranty Received
Confirmation card, & They Now tell me
They are No good with Minelabs :(
the Volume limiter circuit Counteracts with The Minelabs
Built in Limiter ?
Nice they told me Now that it's too late :-\

I have the NDT's, not the ultimates , and have never had a problem with this, though the NDT's are described as having "special limiting circuitry ... Maybe my hearing is just better.... Isn't there an Etrac setting for volume limitation? I have not messed with that in a long time and lent out my Andy Sabisch book out and don't care to check, perhaps just minimize Etrac volume response elimination and you are fine with Grey Ghosts, I don't know, only that I haven't had this problem. Had borrowed a set of Killer Bees once when I was between Koss and Grey Ghost, and they nearly made me deaf cuz they were way too loud for my ears ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions