fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your button is a fashion one. Is the back intact or rusted/corroded? If so that and the fact that the anchor loop does not extend to the edge where the rope border would pass through it are pretty good indicators of a civilian fashion button. But, if the back is intact and you can see any kind of backmark then it could be military or maybe diplomatic.
I don't have any idea on the buckle.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What rope border? The border is 13 stars.

Another night with only enough energy for one reply-post.

PowerDubs, your button does indeed have "rope border." I can see it even without enlarging your photo. It is outside the stars. The stars are not the button's border. The "rope border" encircles the stars. Here's a photo of one exactly like yours except it has 7 stars.

The second photo below shows an actual US Navy button. Notice the VERY sharp detail of the eagle's wings. You can even see individual feathers with tiny barbs (a.k.a. vanes) in them. Also, the "rope border" has very crisp detail.

Unfortunately, your button's correct ID is, a 20th-Century civilian-usage imitation US Navy button, made for use on "fashionable" clothing, mainly imitation Navy "pea" coats.

Attachments

• button_Fashion_US-Navy-imitation_7-stars_photobyPa-dirt-NC-sand_859229.jpg
    button_Fashion_US-Navy-imitation_7-stars_photobyPa-dirt-NC-sand_859229.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 65
  • button_Navy_US_horizontal-anchor_ScovillMfgCo_photobyRelicman_B5983.jpg
    button_Navy_US_horizontal-anchor_ScovillMfgCo_photobyRelicman_B5983.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread