johnnyblaze
Silver Member
- Joined
- Dec 20, 2010
- Messages
- 3,214
- Reaction score
- 1,770
- Golden Thread
- 2
- Location
- Rhode Island
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 2
- Detector(s) used
- T2 SPECIAL EDITION
- Primary Interest:
- Other
Hello PCHammer. I said it is POST CW era. Of the 2 links you posted, I believe the 1st is CW era the second is post-CW. Do you see the difference?PChammer said:
bigcypresshunter said:Hello PCHammer. I said it is POST CW era. Of the 2 links you posted, I believe the 1st is CW era the second is post-CW. Do you see the difference?PChammer said:

bigcypresshunter said:Is your button iron backed? Was it rusted off?
If your button is iron backed, it may be the same as the buttons on this uniform, that still remains a mystery. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,209855.0.html
Yes it looks like an ironed backed Navy button. Sounds like an oxymoron.johnnyblaze said:bigcypresshunter said:Is your button iron backed? Was it rusted off?
If your button is iron backed, it may be the same as the buttons on this uniform, that still remains a mystery. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,209855.0.html
Yes i believe it was iron
Blaze
Common sense would dictate US Navy would not use an ironback button that would fall off in a saltwater environment.bigcypresshunter said:Does anyone know for sure if the US Navy manufactured a cheap iron-backed button that could corrode and fall off?
I know for a fact, some companies manufactured cheaper iron backed buttons for the US Army during WWII.

The US Navy made an iron backed hat button that keeps showing up at CW era sites...but yours is post CW.johnnyblaze said:bigcypresshunter said:Does anyone know for sure if the US Navy manufactured a cheap iron-backed button that could corrode and fall off?
I know for a fact, some companies manufactured cheaper iron backed buttons for the US Army during WWII.
I have seen Civil War buttons with iron backs.
I cant remember if they were navy or not
Blaze