Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Had high hopes this morning as Gheenoe78 and I headed out at 0600 to hit the low tide on a promising Revolutionary War site. While our research placed us exactly on the desired site, the targets were few and far between...probably not the first to hunt it I'm afraid. After a few hours we opted for a pick up game instead...cruising along the shoreline and looking for our typical signs of military/colonial occupation. With a little luck, we managed to land on a decent site with all the right indicators. The mud was particularly challenging, however the CTX began producing the goods. Among the finds was a dropped 3 ringer and 4 copper flat buttons (on with LONDON around the shank) and a out of place buffalo nickel.

20150808_185805_resized.jpg

My best finds came late in the day as the tide was running us off. The familiar sound of pewter under the coil produced my 4th, 18th century PN button. The condition on this button, especially given its salt home for the last 300 years, is truly remarkable. Looks like it was cast yesterday!

pn.jpg pn2.jpg

My last dig was certainly my favorite of the day, a rarely seen 1808 militia rifles, 17mm cuff (undocumented by Albert and Tice but referenced on George Washington Inaugural Buttons ? 1777 ? 1854Dragoons Regt. of RiflemenMilitia Rifles). This is the second known pattern utilized by southern militia rifle units and depicts an eagle clutching a hunting horn and is surrounded by 7 stars.

20150808_153714_resized.jpg 20150808_153549_resized.jpg 20150808_185903_resized.jpg

Thanks for looking

Upvote 15

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a awsome Eagle Jon,
Never seen that one before.
Thanks for sharing your hunt with me.
You keep pulling out these great buttons. The condition on that pewter is sick!!
George

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a awsome Eagle Jon,
Never seen that one before.
Thanks for sharing your hunt with me.
You keep pulling out these great buttons. The condition on that pewter is sick!!
George

Thanks George, coins are great but these early military buttons are definitely my favorite digs.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are pulling some seriously rare finds out of the mud. Great finds

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That pewter is extraordinary! As much as I like the militia button, the pewter ranks right up there too because of it's rare condition.

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice buttons; What a great day ya'll had.......Congrats

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That pewter is extraordinary! As much as I like the militia button, the pewter ranks right up there too because of it's rare condition.

Thanks Dude,
Dug pewters are always a craps shoot- most that I dig inland are flaking on the edges and once exposed to air rapidly deteriorate. Water recovery, for some reason, seems to preserve these quite well.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds.