What's new

Early Archaic Blade ***UpDated pic***

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
19,212
Reaction score
12,627
Golden Thread
1
Location
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Benton county Tn up river from me. They say it (almost) falls into the cobb category.
Good cold water patina. It feels like a nice hand tool to me.
Still raining here some creeks are at 27 feet above flood stage. Lots of people displaced .Opening Bow was today I passed maybe tomorrow ?
TnMountains
 

Attachments

  • 100_2232.webp
    100_2232.webp
    25.6 KB · Views: 674
  • 100_2231.webp
    100_2231.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 673
Upvote 0
Re: Early Archaic Blade

wicked knife, i love the patina!!! pulling out your goodies while its flooding i see? :D

hopefully u get out tomorrow and get that deer
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

Floods are good for river hunting. I know it washes alot in the river but that can be retreaved on a hot day. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

Yep a little bored and its fun to pull things out. I think with all this rain we may find lost villages when the water goes down either that or they will be washed away forever.
You getting the weather downstream RPG?
Thanks guys.
TnMtns
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

TnMountains said:
Yep a little bored and its fun to pull things out. I think with all this rain we may find lost villages when the water goes down either that or they will be washed away forever.
You getting the weather downstream RPG?
Thanks guys.
TnMtns

Oh yeah, I think it has rained here for the last two weeks. The water blew the beaver dam out by the house. It'll be fun watching them rebuild. The good news is, my grass is loving it. :-\
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

RPG said:
TnMountains said:
Yep a little bored and its fun to pull things out. I think with all this rain we may find lost villages when the water goes down either that or they will be washed away forever.
You getting the weather downstream RPG?
Thanks guys.
TnMtns

Oh yeah, I think it has rained here for the last two weeks. The water blew the beaver dam out by the house. It'll be fun watching them rebuild. The good news is, my grass is loving it. :-\
You have posted that beaver dam in the daily snap shots right?
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

TnMountains said:
RPG said:
TnMountains said:
Yep a little bored and its fun to pull things out. I think with all this rain we may find lost villages when the water goes down either that or they will be washed away forever.
You getting the weather downstream RPG?
Thanks guys.
TnMtns

Oh yeah, I think it has rained here for the last two weeks. The water blew the beaver dam out by the house. It'll be fun watching them rebuild. The good news is, my grass is loving it. :-\
You have posted that beaver dam in the daily snap shots right?

Good idea. :sign13:
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

Nice old piece and patina, Dalton preform? Loving this rain, let it clean up the banks and expose some deeper flint.
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

pickaway said:
killer blade... :headbang:


Thanks Pickaway I always appreciate your headbang :headbang:
thirty7 said:
Nice old piece and patina, Dalton preform? Loving this rain, let it clean up the banks and expose some deeper flint.
Thirty7 maybe we will see nothing but fresh tracks as well. I need to fill some freezers.
Uniface you keep pushing me farther back in time and for that I appreciate you. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

Hey TN,

Nice looking blade, if it was found in Tx. there are some similarities to a Pandora blade. Probably "similar" to a good many things. Any way very nice.
Hope all of you in hi-water areas are OK.
There are certainly going to be a plethora of "new" materials washed out by such rains. That should be the proverbial "silver lining"!
Stray safe Tn and all others as well. Hope yer buck hasn't gotten washed away. :laughing7:

BW
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

Well, speaking of "Further Back in Time," Lar Hothem illustrated several like yours in his book First Hunters (about Ohio paleo points & tools). :laughing7:

Glad to be of help :hello2:
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

Uni so with Paleo not everything is unifaced right? I mean they had bi faced knifes and points right? I am sounding dumb now. Ok before say clovis is their evidence of bi facial tools ?

Bravo you are killing me. I am packed ready to go and my girl has the bug so I am cooking her some soup for tomorrow. I hope my bucks (plural) have learned to swim.
I have thirty7's knapped stone points ready for them. :laughing7:
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

The most famous pre-clovis point, probably, is the Miller Lanceolate, that might be associated with the Meadowcroft Rockshelter. Problem is, as I recall from the site report, it was found in the vicinity of the shelter, but not in it.

There are pre-clovis points known from South/Central America (bifaces) that seem to be ancestral to at least Agate Basin. Dr. Gramly suspects them as the ancestor of north American bifaces. Two of them are the Taima-Taima and Monte Verde Points. See
http://asaa-persimmonpress.com/number_6_gramly_cumberland.html#figure1
Scroll all the way down to the very bottom.

Taima-Taima / El Jobo Points :
http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/journey/taima-taima-text.html
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

Greg I am thinking early but not Paleo. Maybe daltonish . Thanks for the links uni .Guess our best bet is South America for a good bi face. Wild kill site they worked on. Thanks for the good reading. I enjoy that amateur archaeologist don't you?
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

This is the specific example I had in mind.

5" X 1.75" ; glossy, mottled, light-colored Flintridge. Found in Montgomery Co., Ohio.

Longer than yours by maybe an inch from less use ; otherwise, virtually identical.

For what it's worth (assuming anything).
 

Attachments

  • DSC00336.webp
    DSC00336.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 540
Re: Early Archaic Blade

I just got done reading "The First Americans, In pursuit of Archaeology's Greates Mystery" by J. M. Adovasio. Page 155 shows an in situ of the Miller point at the Meadowcroft Rockshelter that dates between 11,300 and 12,800 B.P. Another Miller point was found on a farm in the drainage but it is not dated in the book. This is the first book of many for my new hobby.
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

nice material congrats
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom