What's new

Early Archaic Blade ***UpDated pic***

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
19,212
Reaction score
12,627
Golden Thread
1
Location
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Benton county Tn up river from me. They say it (almost) falls into the cobb category.
Good cold water patina. It feels like a nice hand tool to me.
Still raining here some creeks are at 27 feet above flood stage. Lots of people displaced .Opening Bow was today I passed maybe tomorrow ?
TnMountains
 

Attachments

  • 100_2232.webp
    100_2232.webp
    25.6 KB · Views: 674
  • 100_2231.webp
    100_2231.webp
    29.6 KB · Views: 673
Upvote 0
Re: Early Archaic Blade

uniface said:

I dont know. Sometimes they can be called preforms or blades. Big flaking is not always a clue though it can be. All these are from the southeast. One on left I would call a preform.The others were made to be functional items. I tried to find some real quick to look similiar to your link. Hard to hold them and get a picture :laughing7:
Thanks everyone for all the research and thought
TnMtns.
 

Attachments

  • 100_2251.webp
    100_2251.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 418
Re: Early Archaic Blade

Nice blade TnMountains. You find a lot of nice artifacts. Thanks for sharing.
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

Americus said:
Nice blade TnMountains. You find a lot of nice artifacts. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Americus
I think I just saw two nice points from your area that you posted as well from the green bean field, :thumbsup:
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

Hey Mountain Man,
Excellent patina on that blade. Wow, that piece looks like it just fits in your hand! Strong work!
Doc
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

That big blade (left end) looks for all heck like New York Onondaga chert. :icon_scratch:
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

uniface said:
That big blade (left end) looks for all heck like New York Onondaga chert. :icon_scratch:

Chert. Buffalo river.Lawrence county,Tn :icon_sunny:
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

TnMountains said:
uniface said:
That big blade (left end) looks for all heck like New York Onondaga chert. :icon_scratch:

Chert. Buffalo river.Lawrence county,Tn :icon_sunny:

I've got some Buffalo river chert pieces that look very similar, tan, cream, with blue streaks.
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

docmann said:
Hey Mountain Man,
Excellent patina on that blade. Wow, that piece looks like it just fits in your hand! Strong work!
Doc
Thanks Doc
How ya been? I sat in a tree saw eight deer nothing special then rain again. Even tried kicking around a few cave spings on the way out. Found a bunch of big pieces of flint at the new cattle trough. Wish I knapped. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Early Archaic Blade

Nice blade TN, sweeeet.. Hope to see ya pick out some more like that one. I too think those floods can be great for huntin. Austin is finally getting the rain that we needed. Thanks for sharing... Great patina indeed on that beauty..
 
Here is another blade or preform. I bought this one its from the area I frequent. Tn River,Alabama. 3 1/8 froth payne chert Age unknown. Any ideas? You guys made me buy this one :laughing7: Thank Abarnard glad you are getting rain I know you need it. Flood watch here.
TnMtns
 

Attachments

  • 100_2284.webp
    100_2284.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_2290.webp
    100_2290.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 100_2294.webp
    100_2294.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 255
  • 100_2284.webp
    100_2284.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 100_2290.webp
    100_2290.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 100_2294.webp
    100_2294.webp
    14.9 KB · Views: 256
Imo it's a Tennessee River Blade, which is also an unnotched preform for early archaic types like Kirk, and Eva. That might be what the first piece is as well, but something about it still looks Dalton to me. Just my 2 cents.
 
thirty7 said:
Imo it's a Tennessee River Blade, which is also an unnotched preform for early archaic types like Kirk, and Eva. That might be what the first piece is as well, but something about it still looks Dalton to me. Just my 2 cents.
I like them dont you thirty7? The blades. Had three does 20 yards this morn. Could only get the last one but it was a yearling so I passed. Saw 8.
 
TnMountains said:
thirty7 said:
Imo it's a Tennessee River Blade, which is also an unnotched preform for early archaic types like Kirk, and Eva. That might be what the first piece is as well, but something about it still looks Dalton to me. Just my 2 cents.
I like them dont you thirty7? The blades. Had three does 20 yards this morn. Could only get the last one but it was a yearling so I passed. Saw 8.

oh yeah, love blades, preforms, knives, whatever you want to call them. Sounds like you're posted up in the right spot, hope that big buck follows them in at that range next time. Must be nice to hunt on Sunday. It's an antiquated state law that needs to change imo.
 
thirty7 said:
TnMountains said:
thirty7 said:
Imo it's a Tennessee River Blade, which is also an unnotched preform for early archaic types like Kirk, and Eva. That might be what the first piece is as well, but something about it still looks Dalton to me. Just my 2 cents.
I like them dont you thirty7? The blades. Had three does 20 yards this morn. Could only get the last one but it was a yearling so I passed. Saw 8.

Got a huge 10 point on my camera at salt. : ) Early for the rut but hocks are turning quick

oh yeah, love blades, preforms, knives, whatever you want to call them. Sounds like you're posted up in the right spot, hope that big buck follows them in at that range next time.
 
Just looking through older posts and really liked those archaic blades/performs TN.
 
I think I sent one of those to Larson in trade :thumbsup: That is an old post :laughing7:
 
Sweet Blades!
 
TN, the patina on that blade is strange, at the notch. Could it have been hafted like an axe or Celt? The word "preform" really doesn't give justice to these pieces. I never have liked "preform" for a piece that is worked to the point of functionality.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom