What's new

Early humans used tiny, flint ‘surgical’ tools to butcher elephants

That is what we call ''Flake Knives". They were also used in the preparation of hides. You will usually find them associated with camp sites.
 
I have a Woodland site that produces large quantities of these type of Flake Blades.

Every piece in this tray has a worked edge on it somewhere that was used for cutting.
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    412.5 KB · Views: 93
Apparently some missed this:

[FONT=&quot]“The analysis included microscopic observations of use-wear as well as organic and inorganic residues,”

and this:

[/FONT][FONT=&quot] "these flint specimens were not merely industrial waste left over from the production of larger tools. In addition, they were the deliberate product of recycled discarded artifacts and intended for a specific use...[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“We show here for the first time that the tiny tools were deliberately manufactured from recycled material and played an important role in the ancient human toolbox and survival strategies,” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]
 
I found some at Flint Ridge. They are sharp as modern scalpels.
 
I wonder why they were cutting or incising soapstone. Weird. Thanks for the articles.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom