OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a part of the part I was refering to.

The place whence he started on his long and perilous journey, or the
names of those who accompanied him, seem to be unknown to the early
historians of Kentucky. It is supposed, however, that he must have come
down the Big Sandy River, which has its source in Virginia, to where it

joins the Ohio, and then proceeded westward along ^J^ S^^J^^f,^; T.'

ifter having exhausted his search, returned homeward to relate

ploit to his neighbors in the Virginia settlements. . jj^^j

In an effort to obtain more detailed ^-''-;f:i:Z:^Xi^i^\n,
known pioneer, the writer has esammed all of the .J^.™*^' , \g,j^ ad-
Carolina records that are accessible to him. Inqmrxes ^-:^j'^l'2tiL
dressed t6 historical societies in ^^-^^'^^y^ .'>''' ""^^^'^ZLJ^Tl^^^
seems to be available, other than that contained m these meagre artic es^

His career, subsequent to the period when Filson and Collms mention
him as exploring Kentucky, seems to be shrouded m <'1>««^" f" f^'^
showing the way to other adventurous spirits, he seems to have i^^^W^^lf
from hfstory, leaving no record of the tour of "the ^^^^j'^%^^\':'^^^'
certain accounts of who discovered this province." The wilderness which
he traversed now blooms with the arts and refinements of civil life, amid
which the name of this pioneer Irishman is unknown, "unhonored and un-
sung

was he using symbols to take place of names ???

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a part of the part I was refering to.

The place whence he started on his long and perilous journey, or the
names of those who accompanied him, seem to be unknown to the early
historians of Kentucky. It is supposed, however, that he must have come
down the Big Sandy River, which has its source in Virginia, to where it

joins the Ohio, and then proceeded westward along ^J^ S^^J^^f,^; T.'

ifter having exhausted his search, returned homeward to relate

ploit to his neighbors in the Virginia settlements. . jj^^j

In an effort to obtain more detailed ^-''-;f:i:Z:^Xi^i^\n,
known pioneer, the writer has esammed all of the .J^.™*^' , \g,j^ ad-
Carolina records that are accessible to him. Inqmrxes ^-:^j'^l'2tiL
dressed t6 historical societies in ^^-^^'^^y^ .'>''' ""^^^'^ZLJ^Tl^^^
seems to be available, other than that contained m these meagre artic es^

His career, subsequent to the period when Filson and Collms mention
him as exploring Kentucky, seems to be shrouded m <'1>««^" f" f^'^
showing the way to other adventurous spirits, he seems to have i^^^W^^lf
from hfstory, leaving no record of the tour of "the ^^^^j'^%^^\':'^^^'
certain accounts of who discovered this province." The wilderness which
he traversed now blooms with the arts and refinements of civil life, amid
which the name of this pioneer Irishman is unknown, "unhonored and un-
sung

was he using symbols to take place of names ???

The only things I have found that make me think Jonathan Swift and his company mined or found silver in Kentucky are: One the Land Deed Book I in Salisbury, North Carolina that would contain land deeds of Swift and his company's men, has been stolen. Two, I have found that the names of the First Party of Swift's Company existed and they all resided along the Catawba River in North Carolina. Third, The Mecca Indians mentioned by Swift and Company had something to do with the Melungeons and Mandan Indians and these groups are all associated with silver and Holy Relics of the earliest history of our country. There is a good chance that the Swift Silver Mines actually existed, it may be that would be treasure hunters are only scratching the surface of the research needed to find any of the treasures.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
The only things I have found that make me think Jonathan Swift and his company mined or found silver in Kentucky are: One the Land Deed Book I in Salisbury, North Carolina that would contain land deeds of Swift and his company's men, has been stolen. Two, I have found that the names of the First Party of Swift's Company existed and they all resided along the Catawba River in North Carolina. Third, The Mecca Indians mentioned by Swift and Company had something to do with the Melungeons and Mandan Indians and these groups are all associated with silver and Holy Relics of the earliest history of our country. There is a good chance that the Swift Silver Mines actually existed, it may be that would be treasure hunters are only scratching the surface of the research needed to find any of the treasures.

I heard a story told by a man that was told to him by his grandad which was born in the time frame that swift was supposed to of been traveling through this area. That is what got me to believe the story. The story sounded a bit far fetched at the time I heard it, and then years later found evidence of the possibility of it being a true story. Then finding Tnet and reading though the Swift threads for the last 10 or so year was a confirmation of the story I guess. Yeah there was a man that was in this area that was mining something other than coal. was it silver ??? I'm not sure but have little reason to doubt the story that the man told me anything but the truth. After all the mans reputation was of honesty and he had nothing to gain by lieing about what his grandad told him as a boy. Do I run out every spare bit of time looking? No , but I often think of the story when out traveling or in the woods. I think it has made me more aware of my surrounding and the possibility that there is more in these old rocky hills than coal and more than meets the eye.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alot of these mines , just in my opinion were niter mines that people have came across over the years , never finding any evidence of coal , they were unfamiliar with niter mining and made the story of gold and silver mines . but who knows it might be silver in them hills . the mountains of ky are full of these mines. sorry ,i strayed from the original story.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
While reading the article Not finding anything of Swift but the info of the travels tells me that there was other routes into eastern Ky. other than through the Cumberland gap, as many people think it was the only way into the west at the time of Swift adventures into Ky. Some of the legends speak of Swift going by wat of Ft Pitt to the Sandy River, The Route would have probably came along the West side of the Mtn range probably along the Monongalia River to the head of the Kanawha River and then to the Sandy. Swift was traveling into Ky. before Boone as many others did. Boone was just the first to get credit for the trip.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Sawmill man no need to apologize for straying off subject what you stated is just part of the reality of the legend. All possibilities need to be explored.

Last edited:

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just thought i would throw that out there, niter ( salt peter ) brought alot of early pioneers into this area , im sure Irish were among some of them as well as slaves. could some of these writings be from slaves workers etc ?

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While reading the article Not finding anything of Swift but the info of the travels tells me that there was other routes into eastern Ky. other than through the Cumberland gap, as many people think it was the only way into the west at the time of Swift adventures into Ky. Some of the legends speak of Swift going by wat of Ft Pitt to the Sandy River, The Route would have probably came along the West side of the Mtn range probably along the Monongalia River to the head of the Kanawha River and then to the Sandy. Swift was traveling into Ky. before Boone as many others did. Boone was just the first to get credit for the trip.

Ken S., I have most of the route Swift and Company would have used from Fort Pitt. They would have crossed the Great Kanawha River above Winfield, W.Va. That is where Daniel Boone crossed while on a surveying expedition. They would have then proceeded SE to Twenty-Five Mile Creek and followed it up to where it crossed over the mountain to US Route 3. US Route 3 is made on top of an old Indian Trail. Stay on US Route 3 crossing the Guyandote River to the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy River on into Kentucky. They would have split up at Paint Creek. One party going a considerable distance West to the Rich mines and the other party heading down the Pine Ridge to the poorer mines.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ken S., I have most of the route Swift and Company would have used from Fort Pitt. They would have crossed the Great Kanawha River above Winfield, W.Va. That is where Daniel Boone crossed while on a surveying expedition. They would have then proceeded SE to Twenty-Five Mile Creek and followed it up to where it crossed over the mountain to US Route 3. US Route 3 is made on top of an old Indian Trail. Stay on US Route 3 crossing the Guyandote River to the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy River on into Kentucky. They would have split up at Paint Creek. One party going a considerable distance West to the Rich mines and the other party heading down the Pine Ridge to the poorer mines.

That sounds like a very plausible Rt. I've not done any boots on the ground research in that direction, But given that most of the old road in the area followed the old buffalo trails it sounds to be spot on.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a very plausible Rt. I've not done any boots on the ground research in that direction, But given that most of the old road in the area followed the old buffalo trails it sounds to be spot on.

Twenty-Five Mile Creek comes out at Hurricane, W.Va. on the other side of the mountain. Lord I have driven all over those roads, valleys and mountains. Waited in my car sometimes for hours waiting on daylight to get to hunting. The cache Swift hid when his mule packing a load was shot by Indians was at the mouth of Twenty-Five mile creek. There is an Indian Calendar on a cliff face, I and my brother found. There is a carving of Henry Hewitt's Initials carved into a rock. There is a triangle carved on a rock where the cache was hidden, but it is not there now. It was difficult searching for all of this, and I did get landowner's permission which was not easy to even find the owner. But I did. I would love to walk all of those trails looking for markers and signs and caches. Caches that could have been hidden by other travelers. George Washington even owned a large tract of land in this area and it was laid out for a town. But was never finished. Great place to hunt for treasure. And a great place for history and just to get out and have fun, again.

Swift hid another cache at the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy at Louisa, Kentucky. I have searched for that cache also. It is up on a hill over-looking the town. Searched one time and I have not been back since. I do believe that cache is still there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Twenty-Five Mile Creek comes out at Hurricane, W.Va. on the other side of the mountain. Lord I have driven all over those roads, valleys and mountains. Waited in my car sometimes for hours waiting on daylight to get to hunting. The cache Swift hid when his mule packing a load was shot by Indians was at the mouth of Twenty-Five mile creek. There is an Indian Calendar on a cliff face, I and my brother found. There is a carving of Henry Hewitt's Initials carved into a rock. There is a triangle carved on a rock where the cache was hidden, but it is not there now. It was difficult searching for all of this, and I did get landowner's permission which was not easy to even find the owner. But I did. I would love to walk all of those trails looking for markers and signs and caches. Caches that could have been hidden by other travelers. George Washington even owned a large tract of land in this area and it was laid out for a town. But was never finished. Great place to hunt for treasure. And a great place for history and just to get out and have fun, again.

Swift hid another cache at the Levisa Fork of the Big Sandy at Louisa, Kentucky. I have searched for that cache also. It is up on a hill over-looking the town. Searched one time and I have not been back since. I do believe that cache is still there.

Seems like I remember a post that Boomer made about the cache at Louisa not being there anymore some years back. Think he found it tied in with the Indian waybill maybe, or when he was tracing the Indian waybill out one or the other.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great read Ken S. as fore Irish in Ky. i would say it could be ,I am a Coffey, and strong Irish decent and my family has been in America from the late 1600s to early 1700s, all i have is story's telling of traveling in this Ky. land before the Revolution . If you guys can share more research on stuff like this Early Ky. i would appreciate it. Im not really interested in silver mines so dont worry . but it is interesting. I cant help on your quest but will stand on the sidelines and give moral support. I just love to read of the history .any more good reads ,research ,maps or info on Ky pioneers would be appreciated.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Great read Ken S. as fore Irish in Ky. i would say it could be ,I am a Coffey, and strong Irish decent and my family has been in America from the late 1600s to early 1700s, all i have is story's telling of traveling in this Ky. land before the Revolution . If you guys can share more research on stuff like this Early Ky. i would appreciate it. Im not really interested in silver mines so dont worry . but it is interesting. I cant help on your quest but will stand on the sidelines and give moral support. I just love to read of the history .any more good reads ,research ,maps or info on Ky pioneers would be appreciated.

Thanks sawmill man
There are several pages of threads you may or may not have read that is loaded with the info, maps and such. As for what's to come you'll just have to hang around. Most anything involving Swift centers around Ky., History and heritage of the area and surrounding states.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks i will try and load up some more of it then. as for your turkey tracks ,the only ones i ever seen were at the Red Bird rock in Manchester ky. but i guess that is old news to you guys .

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks i will try and load up some more of it then. as for your turkey tracks ,the only ones i ever seen were at the Red Bird rock in Manchester ky. but i guess that is old news to you guys .

Being a logger and in the woods you might stumble upon something that would be worth considerable more than the timber and logs. Ya might want to keep an eye out for a peculiar rock or opening in a cliff.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like I remember a post that Boomer made about the cache at Louisa not being there anymore some years back. Think he found it tied in with the Indian waybill maybe, or when he was tracing the Indian waybill out one or the other.

When I was down there my dowsing showed the cache was still there but I could not pinpoint the location. I do know it was on the hill on the west side of the forks of the river.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was down there my dowsing showed the cache was still there but I could not pinpoint the location. I do know it was on the hill on the west side of the forks of the river.

It may still be there. I don't know maybe Boomer was there after you and someone had been there between the two of ya.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread