Early morning heat.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fell a small redwood in the back yard a couple days ago. Here the chip pile is steaming from internal heat already.
5AC58684-3105-4997-A9D0-06BB283161BD.jpeg

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s incredible I never thought wood would do that

OP
OP
delnorter

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bill. Yes, very high temperatures are generated in wood chip piles. A pile of green wood chips this size, with a high moisture content, will heat up to compost pile temperatures.

I used to do a lot of volumetric calculations using photogrammetry for the wood products industries. We’d capture stereo aerial photography of huge chip stockpiles and log decks for Weyerhaeuser, International Paper and numerous other wood products companies in the pacific northwest. From these images we’d calculate their onsite inventory of wood products.

Some of these chip pile were truly enormous and generated a tremendous amount of heat. When conditions such as: wood species, moisture content, height of pile and good old oxygen came together sufficiently, the pile would spontaneously combust.

One such tremendous pile, as my feeble memory recalls, burned for a couple years. I think it was an International Paper mill in Springfield, Oregon.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions