Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For as long asI can remember I had a curiosity toward old abandon houses. These houses where built from the early 1700's to early 1800's.
A lot of history there.Try to perhaps contact the owners and see if they are interested in selling the properties..They might be very willing to sell

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea bill.There used to be a lot of old tenant houses scattered around my neck of the woods,dating from the 1930s or so but they,ve all been torn down. But I,ve got the locations plotted out from old maps.Gonna get myself out and check them out. Love them old houses.might be a cache around there somewhere.

Last edited:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea bill.There used to be a lot of old tenant houses scattered around my nck of the woods,dating from the 1930s or so but they,ve all been torn down. But I,ve got the locations plotted out from old maps.Gonna get myself out and check them out. Love them old houses.might be a cache around there somewhere.
Good idea bill.There used to be a lot of old tenant houses scattered around my neck of the woods,dating from the 1930s or so but they,ve all been torn down. But I,ve got the locations plotted out from old maps.Gonna get myself out and check them out. Love them old houses.might be a cache around there somewhere.
Your right I heard a story where a person bought a old house close by and found $six figures hidden in a wall years ago when they were restoring

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old is my gold! Hand built, quality, durability, not like the crap they make today.
Over the years here I’ve seen more modular homes installed and I heard a radio commercial today where they can build one in a few weeks..It’s a lot different now than in the days of stick built

OP
OP
Ed_DE

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of these homes are over 300 years old. The people that built them where craftsman in both wood & stone work. I have a lot of respect the people that built them & the homes.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of these homes are over 300 years old. The people that built them where craftsman in both wood & stone work. I have a lot of respect the people that built them & the homes.
I wish I could work with stone like the masons that make the stone walls.There’s piles of stones and they take one at a time and the walls look so beautiful

Dave B

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2022
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minilab Pro-Find 35 Pinpointer
Hoagie,

I feel the same way, I have such an attraction to them. They amount of work that went into building them, all manual labor and such straight walls for the foundations, the clearing of the property, etc. Today we have lost all the craftmanship.

I used to live in NH and a favorite hunting area had a large Barn foundation made of massive slabs of stone and I always wondered how they cut the stone and moved it. I later learned that in the fall they would go to where the stone was and using a star drill, drill holes in a line into the stone then fill the holes with water, in the winter when the water froze and expanded the stone would crack the rest of the way thus freeing the stone, they would then load them on a sled to be towed to the building location with horses.

We wouldn't think of doing such manual labor today, we have become far to sedentary.

Dave

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread