Easy $$$ right now on ebay

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toys R us is having a buy 2 ps3 or xbox 360 games from a list and save $50.00 at the register My step son wanted black ops 2 for christmas so I bought that and a extra, came to $70.00 after the discount Then I just sold the other on ps3 on buy it now for $50 and it sold within 5 mins. So his game cost $20.00 tomorrow Im going to buy 2 more and flip and make some $$ :)

Nice find!!!!!

I used to be pretty good back in the day with finding bargains at retail stores to resell on ebay. Actually, the very first items that I ever listed on ebay were new Coach purses that I bought on sale at a Coach store, and flipped on ebay a few days later.

The new high fees have wrecked that strategy, making many items just not worth listing.

Those Coach purses cost me about $70-$80 each, and I easily flipped them for $110 to $130 each. With today's fee structure, combined with "the buyer is never wrong" attitude adopted by ebay, flipping purses isn't worth it anymore.

If you could find some sort of coupon to take extra money off the total, that would be an even slicker deal.

I used to skim "slickdeals.com" all the time. The whole purpose of that site is to share deals such as the one the OP posted. Nice score!

I was thinking about doing some e-bay sales. I haven't sold anything in awhile on their site but want to make some extra cash without getting a 2nd job. I'm having second thoughts with everyone talking about the new high fee structure and the customer is always right policy. In the past I always felt the fees were a little high but the fact that you were getting a national audience evened it out. I'll have to do some fee research before I dive back in.

I only had one customer complain that what they got was not what they purchased. E-bay reviewed the case and ruled in my favor. In this case I sold a 70s G.I. Joe box for over $100 dollars. In the ad I clearly stated more then once that it was just the box to help someone with the figure and accessories complete the set. They claim they thought it was everything. Funny thing is if the customer would have reached out to me first I would have refunded it if they returned it in the same condition as I sent it out. I was notified by E-bay that the money was frozen while they investigated and they ruled in my favor. At that point there was noway I was going to give a refund. Got the box while cleaning out a hoarders house that my brother purchased with content so it cost me nothing.

NJ

I was thinking about doing some e-bay sales. I haven't sold anything in awhile on their site but want to make some extra cash without getting a 2nd job. I'm having second thoughts with everyone talking about the new high fee structure and the customer is always right policy. In the past I always felt the fees were a little high but the fact that you were getting a national audience evened it out. I'll have to do some fee research before I dive back in.

I only had one customer complain that what they got was not what they purchased. E-bay reviewed the case and ruled in my favor. In this case I sold a 70s G.I. Joe box for over $100 dollars. In the ad I clearly stated more then once that it was just the box to help someone with the figure and accessories complete the set. They claim they thought it was everything. Funny thing is if the customer would have reached out to me first I would have refunded it if they returned it in the same condition as I sent it out. I was notified by E-bay that the money was frozen while they investigated and they ruled in my favor. At that point there was noway I was going to give a refund. Got the box while cleaning out a hoarders house that my brother purchased with content so it cost me nothing.

NJ

"I always felt the fees were a little high but the fact that you were getting a national audience evened it out" - This is spot on and a good attitude to have. Regarding the "customer is always right" problem: Yes, it is an issue. All you can do is try to reduce your liabilty as much as possible. Take good, clear pictures. Make your descriptions as unambiguous as possible. Do not use any language that might confuse or deceive someone. Lastly, read ebay's policies and become familiar with them. As long as you have a good attitude and do not try to interpret the policy in your favor, you should have no problem selling on ebay.

NJ

Don't listen to that, it's ridiculous. If any of us owned a business where other people were selling we'd also want at least 10%. Most places want more, much more in some case. I used to sell stuff for people sometimes but stopped because it's not worth my time because I needed at least 40%, and that would not be worth it to them. As for the customer always being right, I have so few problems I don't care if they think they're right, I'll just have them send the thing back for a refund and move on. The people who go on about those topics I will 100% GUARANTEE they are not a serious seller who does any amount of deals. They also are the same ones who say they quit selling there, and that is even more proof, because how many quit if they are doing well? The people who quit are the ones who aren't having much success and it's just easier to blame ebay and give up.

Thanks IP

I do like E-bay. When I did use them I almost always sold my items in the first listing. I would also buy items for cheap at garage sales then wait for the right time to sell.

NJ

Thanks IP

I do like E-bay. When I did use them I almost always sold my items in the first listing. I would also buy items for cheap at garage sales then wait for the right time to sell.

NJ

Not that it's perfect, but when you're dealing with people that you don't know, and over the internet, how could it ever be. Ebay to their credit has really cleaned up a lot of the fraud making it more difficult for new sellers to take the money and run.

Good job on finding the discount items to resell. I have had a very bad year on ebay, but I an not going to complain, I just did not have the stuff people wanted. I do relist every thing until I run out of free listing. I had some gauges for a 52 studebaker and could not give them away. Relisted again last night and they have a bid already. So to me it is having the right stuff at the right time. Here is my listing for the guages. Hope it is ok to put this here, just as an example not to get people to bid on them. I also try to have a little fun with ebay, I have a piece of cedar for sale.
Guages for 1952 Studebaker Rat Rod Classic | eBay.

If you could find some sort of coupon to take extra money off the total, that would be an even slicker deal.

I used to skim "slickdeals.com" all the time. The whole purpose of that site is to share deals such as the one the OP posted. Nice score!

I forgot I used a groupon buy $10 get 20 off so it was actually free for his game :)

Good job on finding the discount items to resell. I have had a very bad year on ebay, but I an not going to complain, I just did not have the stuff people wanted. I do relist every thing until I run out of free listing. I had some gauges for a 52 studebaker and could not give them away. Relisted again last night and they have a bid already. So to me it is having the right stuff at the right time. Here is my listing for the guages. Hope it is ok to put this here, just as an example not to get people to bid on them. I also try to have a little fun with ebay, I have a piece of cedar for sale.

The cedar is funny. In your misc coins lot, was the ring marked 14k really gold or just a fake?

The cedar is funny. In your misc coins lot, was the ring marked 14k really gold or just a fake?

This was really a junk drawer/coin lot that I had, not the kind that are garage sale stuff and then try to sale as junk drawer. The ring was real as listed. I had found it about two years ago and tossed it in with what was in the auction.

I think we could offer some pointers to making your listing a little better, if you are open to it.

The first thing I would have changed is to add "speedometer" to your listing. What are the other parts? A tachometer?

NJ

While the fees are much higher than they used to be, I think that ebay is still a good place to sell.

I am a top rated power seller, and was extremely reluctant to list with the 14 day return policy. Sure, I've had a few returns, but overall, I've really had no problems as of yet. I do think that ebay has weeded some of the fraudsters and scammers out of the system, and I believe it has helped immensely.

As a general rule, I figure that ebay and Paypal are taking 20%. For me, that cuts out a bunch of stuff that I used to list, particularly lower dollar items and items where the margins were very tight, like the Coach purses.

One word of caution: Be careful with selling low dollar items and shipping them overseas. For instance, I sold a wrench, and the buyer asked if I would ship it to New Zealand. The wrench only got one bid for $10, but shipping cost to NZ was $16. I didn't make a dime on the shipping, but ebay charged me 20% of of the $26 total, or about $5.20. Ouch!!!!! I should have thrown the wrench in the trash!!!!!

Last edited:
While the fees are much higher than they used to be, I think that ebay is still a good place to sell.

I am a top rated power seller, and was extremely reluctant to list with the 14 day return policy. Sure, I've had a few returns, but overall, I've really had no problems as of yet. I do think that ebay has weeded some of the fraudsters and scammers out of the system, and I believe it has helped immensely.

As a general rule, I figure that ebay and Paypal are taking 20%. For me, that cuts out a bunch of stuff that I used to list, particularly lower dollar items and items where the margins were very tight, like the Coach purses.

One word of caution: Be careful with selling low dollar items and shipping them overseas. For instance, I sold a wrench, and the buyer asked if I would ship it to New Zealand. The wrench only got one bid for $10, but shipping cost to NZ was $16. I didn't make a dime on the shipping, but ebay charged me 20% of of the $26 total, or about $5.20. Ouch!!!!! I should have thrown the wrench in the trash!!!!!

Not sure how you get those numbers because final value fees for an auction is 9%.

Not sure how you get those numbers because final value fees for an auction is 9%.

The agriculture and business listings have higher FVF, if I understand it correctly.

Add Paypal too...I might be high at 20%...but like I said, as a general rule. While 17% is probably a closer percentage, using 20% is an easy calculation for me.

I think we could offer some pointers to making your listing a little better, if you are open to it.

The first thing I would have changed is to add "speedometer" to your listing. What are the other parts? A tachometer?

I am always open when help is offered. When I listed these the first time I did list all the parts in the title, received very few views. This time I kept the title simple and received a bid right away.

99% of my listings have a little under 9 % Final fee and PayPal takes a little over 2%. Between 10 & 11% is very fair. Most auction type sales charge at least 30% and up to 50% on small items and reach far less buyers. eBay isn't perfect but it could be a lot worse.

99% of my listings have a little under 9 % Final fee and PayPal takes a little over 2%. Between 10 & 11% is very fair. Most auction type sales charge at least 30% and up to 50% on small items and reach far less buyers. eBay isn't perfect but it could be a lot worse.

What's WAY worse is how weak the American dollar has become and I think there's a lot of people that don't even realize this. For most of my life the it has been much stronger than the Canadian, and when I started on ebay if I cashed $1,000 USD out of my Paypal it was converted to over $1,500! Can. (Damn times were good) But now when I cash out that same $1,000 I LOSE money!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back