Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Much easier to answer, or figure this out if you give us the actual numbers instead of trying to do it in reverse. What it sold for, how much you charged for shipping, and if it was an auction, which I assume it is. To say you're getting a dose of fleabay doesn't really make sense because all the fees are started and it's nothing more than a computer program calculating the numbers. So you've learned a lesson today.... and is like Hermon Cain who said that if you're not rich blame yourself.... and in this case it's... if you got charged more than what you expected, you can only blame yourself. In other words I highly doubt there is an error and I think once you understand things a little better it will make sense. Just wait until you see how much pain there is when selling an expensive item. lol

PS: Your shipping fee charge seems very odd to me, unless you charged over $10 to send it. What it seems like is you sold a cheap item with high shipping, and ebay starting taking their % off the shipping to stop people from playing the system. (selling things really cheap and escaping the fee by making their money off the shipping)

I should also say I don't play super close attention so it would take some looking to solve this, but the reason I don't folllow it closely because I did before and didn't see any mistakes, and it's just to much work to keep track. But it doesn't really worry me because I believe it's right, and if you think about it, if there's a mistake for one, there's probably a mistake for a million. Errors in the numbers would be a very serious issue to ebay.

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought eBay does'nt take anything of the postage/shipping cost you apply to a item, they don't here, I know that Paypall takes a percentage.

SS

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, ebay takes a percentage on the shipping costs as well now.

As a simple rule I estimate 20% on all including paypals cut.

ETA: in the US

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Much easier to answer, or figure this out if you give us the actual numbers instead of trying to do it in reverse. What it sold for, how much you charged for shipping, and if it was an auction, which I assume it is. To say you're getting a dose of fleabay doesn't really make sense because all the fees are started and it's nothing more than a computer program calculating the numbers. So you've learned a lesson today.... and is like Hermon Cain who said that if you're not rich blame yourself.... and in this case it's... if you got charged more than what you expected, you can only blame yourself. In other words I highly doubt there is an error and I think once you understand things a little better it will make sense. Just wait until you see how much pain there is when selling an expensive item. lol

PS: Your shipping fee charge seems very odd to me, unless you charged over $10 to send it. What it seems like is you sold a cheap item with high shipping, and ebay starting taking their % off the shipping to stop people from playing the system. (selling things really cheap and escaping the fee by making their money off the shipping)

I should also say I don't play super close attention so it would take some looking to solve this, but the reason I don't folllow it closely because I did before and didn't see any mistakes, and it's just to much work to keep track. But it doesn't really worry me because I believe it's right, and if you think about it, if there's a mistake for one, there's probably a mistake for a million. Errors in the numbers would be a very serious issue to ebay.
..... I am like ..IP .. i really don't pay much attention to the fee's i just always think they are right......And i am happy to get so much exposure to my item's..... To me it is just part of doing business ... That i have no control over .... But if they did not get there cut i would not get mine...

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason EBay is now taking a percentage of the shipping is that sellers were offering a $16 item with a 99 cent buy it now and then charging $15 shipping. It was a way to get around paying the final value fee on $16 and only having to pay it on .99. I was surprised it took eBay as long as it did to figure it out.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I got it.
apush

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason EBay is now taking a percentage of the shipping is that sellers were offering a $16 item with a 99 cent buy it now and then charging $15 shipping. It was a way to get around paying the final value fee on $16 and only having to pay it on .99. I was surprised it took eBay as long as it did to figure it out.

I call BS. Ebay did it because of GREED. Punishing the masses for indiscretions of the few isn't figuring it out. Any item or seller could be reported for fee avoidance. They claimed it was supposed to keep shipping reasonable, but sellers are either eating the cost or factoring it into prices.

Ebay's fees have grown and grown since they went public. When you have shareholders you have to show revenue and profit growth. The fees are a pain, but as others have said, it's a cost of doing business and using their visibility.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its 11 % across the board for fee bays final value fee plus all the other crap

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing eBay for about 12 years now and also noticed the painful fee increases. They are simply following the government's way of doing things.
There was a problem with sellers charging exorbiant shipping fees, so they simply cashed in on it. The way to beat it is to ship free. They get no part of your shipping cost.
Raise the price a bit on your item to cover the postage. You will be surprised at how much faster you get your payment. The buyer does not have to wait for the invoice.
Ship Priority whenever possible, it's fast and the boxes are free. Delivery confirmation is also free. Customer is satisfied, your all, "bubbly" too! That's the way I do it. :thumbsup:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing eBay for about 12 years now and also noticed the painful fee increases. They are simply following the government's way of doing things.
There was a problem with sellers charging exorbiant shipping fees, so they simply cashed in on it. The way to beat it is to ship free. They get no part of your shipping cost.
Raise the price a bit on your item to cover the postage. You will be surprised at how much faster you get your payment. The buyer does not have to wait for the invoice.
Ship Priority whenever possible, it's fast and the boxes are free. Delivery confirmation is also free. Customer is satisfied, your all, "bubbly" too! That's the way I do it. :thumbsup:

I personally don't think it works that way. I believe it's better for a buyer to see a lower price, and moderate shipping, than a higher price and free. Also, when it's an auction you have to assume everyone is bidding a little bit more because of the free shipping and I don't think think that would be the case all of the time. It's not uncommon for shipping to cost me anywhere from $200- $400 a week and I definitely would rather to see that coming from somewhere than looking at it questioning if it's mostly out of my pocket. (which to me it would both look and feel like) As for the quick invoices I believe you can have you page set up for almost anything, to send the invoice right away, unless you're like me where there's many judgement calls.... but I guess if you have those you very well can't have free shipping, or at least I wouldn't think so.

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys, I do appreicate the advice. Goodness knows I need it! I did get a bid today on that reference Bible--and I went back and took the advice of Iron Patch and added a BIN-->put the BIN at $59.99
My starting bid is $39.99 and I have one bid and 2 days left. The Bible cost $1. I guess those reference types are hard to find. If you guys run across one, grab it: "The Logos Complete Study Bible: American Version," by Thomas Nelson, 1972. Red bound with gold letters.
apush

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well guys, I do appreicate the advice. Goodness knows I need it! I did get a bid today on that reference Bible--and I went back and took the advice of Iron Patch and added a BIN-->put the BIN at $59.99
My starting bid is $39.99 and I have one bid and 2 days left. The Bible cost $1. I guess those reference types are hard to find. If you guys run across one, grab it: "The Logos Complete Study Bible: American Version," by Thomas Nelson, 1972. Red bound with gold letters.
apush

With the bid it puts you in a good position already, but what's even better is there's still 2 days left, the busiest time for views, and everyone that sees the listing now will not know there was a BIN for $59.99. But what they will see is someone is willing to pay $39.99 so that might interest them.

I'm not sure if it will apply to this item, but sometimes at this point now having a sale for sure, it's worth paying the fee again and double listing the item, if there is another good category to put it. You've already made a good profit so it might be worth another 75 cents or so to try to pick up more views to get more bids. As I said this is always a judgement call depending on the item, but if there is a really good second category it is worth doing. When you start a listing at 0.99 and let it go you should always double list it, but when it's costing you more this is a good way to do it. I started this back when ebay allowed you to add pics and a category even once there is a bid, I bet at least one other person will read this and say I never thought of that! :) In my first few years of ebay I had a whole list of little tricks but slowly ebay caught on and changed things. Back in the day you could start your item at a high price and even days later revise it down, get refunded, and then cancel the item and try it again.

Last edited:

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am afraid of what would happen to me if I even touched a Bible! LOL!

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GibH,
Hey don't get me wrong as you will get no argument from me as to just how greedy ebay is! I started selling on there back in 2000 and it was not a bad deal. but then like you say, greed took over. And not only is ebay the greedy one, the Postal service wanted a much bigger piece of the pie. What cost me $3.85 to ship back then cost me almost 3 times that now. UPS and fedEx are not far behind.
And don't even get me started on Paypal. When Ebay bought them they wanted to pigeon hole everyone into accepting Paypal payments only.
I have made over 5000 transactions on ebay but only do a small percentage of sales on there now. I would rather do a search for any forums that may have sprung up pertaining to a particular item I have for sale IE: British motorcycle parts and then list on their classifieds or a musicians forum if I am selling a guitar. That way I avoid the fees and there is more f a chance the item will get into the hands of someone who really appreciates it rather than a reseller.
If enough people do this there will not be much of a need for ebay. I know my sales to date were $160,000 on ebay but they will have to find another source in the future.
Now for someone selling an occasional item or a big time reseller it is still not a bad deal.

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally don't think it works that way. I believe it's better for a buyer to see a lower price, and moderate shipping, than a higher price and free. Also, when it's an auction you have to assume everyone is bidding a little bit more because of the free shipping and I don't think think that would be the case all of the time. It's not uncommon for shipping to cost me anywhere from $200- $400 a week and I definitely would rather to see that coming from somewhere than looking at it questioning if it's mostly out of my pocket. (which to me it would both look and feel like) As for the quick invoices I believe you can have you page set up for almost anything, to send the invoice right away, unless you're like me where there's many judgement calls.... but I guess if you have those you very well can't have free shipping, or at least I wouldn't think so.
I agree, there is no "fits all" solution to anyone's unique situation. The big sellers with the large stores and inventories would handle things differently of course. But for the small sellers without a huge inventory or budget, the system works okay. Just sayin...........

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why some of you complain about the fees ebay charges. Where else can you sell something with that much exposure for those rates? Try your local auction house you'll see, they will charge you even more than ebay. They get money coming and going, from you and the buyer. Open your own local shop and see what that will cost you. List it on craigslist for free if that's what your looking for. I'm surprised they haven't started charging yet to be honest with you.

redfish76

Sep 12, 2010
Florida
I don't know why some of you complain about the fees ebay charges. Where else can you sell something with that much exposure for those rates? Try your local auction house you'll see, they will charge you even more than ebay. They get money coming and going, from you and the buyer. Open your own local shop and see what that will cost you. List it on craigslist for free if that's what your looking for. I'm surprised they haven't started charging yet to be honest with you.

I asked a local auction house last week how much they charge and it was 30%

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have never even been to the Craigslist site, but my gut feeling is it would be pretty hard to run a business and get the sales you'd need to keep afloat. I know I'd be done without ebay and CL would have me back to just doing it a little for fun - meaning it would be time to start looking for a job. What a beautiful thing it would be if both Ebay and Paypal were free, along with houses, cars, and everything else....but that isn't how it works, so yes, fees are just the way it is, and rightfully so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread