Ebay global selling program?

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
My short experience with Ebays Global shipping program was enough for me to cancel it. First buyer opened a case because he hadn't received his stuff in a reasonable amount of time. The re-shipper in CA finally located it after losing it for awhile.. Second time was a winning bidder from Canada who sent me a nasty email calling me a thief and refusing to pay because, unknown to me, Ebay had added extra charges for whatever reasons including an import tax. I tried to explain to the buyer that all of that was beyond my control but evidently Canadians speak a different brand of English than we do down here because the next email from him called me a liar and told me not to contact him again for any reason. Screw it.. 2 strikes in 2 transactions and I stopped using it. Take offense if it makes you feel better but I would rather relist something ten times and get slightly less for my stuff than deal with people outside the US. In 15 years of selling on Ebay it has almost always been a huge hassle.

Last edited:

onally

Oct 26, 2011
East, Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I am a frequent seller on ebay and as for GSP I have had nothing but complaints from customers as to the high cost, and as for me I don't like how long it takes to get paid as GSP sends the invoice also GSP does not offer their service to some countries limiting my customers. I don't offer it anymore and strictly use USPS international shipping. I use to have to fill out the international paper work at the post office but now it prints off on the shipping label all I have to do is sign it, tape it, ship it nothing more. I always use insurance, tracking, and signature confirmation this covers the customer and me from damage ,loss,stolen or what ever. I have yet to have a problem. I will not use or recommend Global shipping service pittney & bowwers!

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Really like this opotion and only ship using this program currently.

Pros -

1. One of the biggest ways I got burned shipping internationally was by the buyer not picking up their package from customs because they did not want to pay the extra tariffs/postal fees their country was charging for bring in the item. The item was never delivered so they could get their money back and you loose the item because the country holding the item does not want to take responsibility for shipping the item back.

2. Over seas tracking information.

3. You are not responsible for any charges or fees for hidden over see shipping charges.

4. The buyer can not leave neg feedback because of any shipping issues.

Cons

1. This is the big one you are going to limit the number of bidders as shipping this way cost the buyer a premium.

In closing, I think I make less on items but make more over all because I do not have huge losses from lost items.

Cheers - Koffee

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Really like this opotion and only ship using this program currently.

Pros -

1. One of the biggest ways I got burned shipping internationally was by the buyer not picking up their package from customs because they did not want to pay the extra tariffs/postal fees their country was charging for bring in the item. The item was never delivered so they could get their money back and you loose the item because the country holding the item does not want to take responsibility for shipping the item back.

2. Over seas tracking information.

3. You are not responsible for any charges or fees for hidden over see shipping charges.

4. The buyer can not leave neg feedback because of any shipping issues.

Cons

1. This is the big one you are going to limit the number of bidders as shipping this way cost the buyer a premium.

In closing, I think I make less on items but make more over all because I do not have huge losses from lost items.

Cheers - Koffee

I can see how it would make sense for you under those circumstances, but to date I've never had an International buyer refuse what he bought.

Your number #2... You're not responsible for that anyway.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see how it would make sense for you under those circumstances, but to date I've never had an International buyer refuse what he bought.

Your number #2... You're not responsible for that anyway.
Not responsible for #2 but it's kind of interrelated with #1 when the buyer doesn't receive or pick up his package, for whatever reason.
I think small envelope items such as coins, buttons, small relics, etc. are much easier to ship internationally all the way around, thus making it easier for someone who sells these items to offer international shipping without the need for the GSP. The larger/heavier the items are, the bigger the headache when it comes to international shipping, in my experience anyway.

I can see how it would be a big negative for an overseas buyer in reference to the extra charges that are being charged for the service. I'm wondering, where is the "fine print" for the buyers who use this service?

Also to turn the tables a bit... Has anyone here in the US (or Canada) ever had to pay any type of extra fees for purchasing items from an overseas seller? I haven't myself.

And while we are at it, how the hell do the Chinese commies get away with offering free shipping worldwide? They shouldn't even be allowed to sell on ebay imho. I guess that's a different subject though.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not responsible for #2 but it's kind of interrelated with #1 when the buyer doesn't receive or pick up his package, for whatever reason.
I think small envelope items such as coins, buttons, small relics, etc. are much easier to ship internationally all the way around, thus making it easier for someone who sells these items to offer international shipping without the need for the GSP. The larger/heavier the items are, the bigger the headache when it comes to international shipping, in my experience anyway.

I can see how it would be a big negative for an overseas buyer in reference to the extra charges that are being charged for the service. I'm wondering, where is the "fine print" for the buyers who use this service?

Also to turn the tables a bit... Has anyone here in the US (or Canada) ever had to pay any type of extra fees for purchasing items from an overseas seller? I haven't myself.

And while we are at it, how the hell do the Chinese commies get away with offering free shipping worldwide? They shouldn't even be allowed to sell on ebay imho. I guess that's a different subject though.

I meant #3! duh. The program does not do anything to change that because that's the way it is anyway. Believe me when I say I have told myself many many times how lucky I am to be shipping small items, but I'm not exactly free of all issues because you have basically the same headache when the value is high, as when the item is large. When you have both, well you might not even want to ship overseas in those cases.

Anything higher price from the US I would expect to pay fees. Overseas it's less often, but high value are more likely to get stopped, especially if it's a large package and not a letter. It's certainly a lot more random and much less frequent than from the US.

I would guess the shipping is tied into your free trade agreement, and if the next one goes through they'll probably still ship for next to nothing and the government will collect from again when it arrives to send back to China.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread