Ebay/paypal costs

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paypal charges are shown by item (I am sure there is a way to see it in total, but I've never looked as my spreadsheet auto-calculates it 30 cents + 2.9% or something like that)

So in paypal, say you got $5.99 for an item. Paypal will show 5.52 coming in (it automatically takes the 30 cent fee plus 2.9%).
eBay gets their cut once a month, paypal takes theirs after every transaction

OP
OP
Justice70

Justice70

Oct 18, 2008
michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Whites Prizm iv
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, 13% wow! I didn't know it was that much.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, many people complain about the fees, but the fees are much smaller than what an individual would have to pay for overhead for a store... marketing, web hosting, utilities, etc
Even when traffic is slow on eBay, it would take a lot of work to drive that same traffic to a new site/personal site/brick& mortar store (with even more overhead).
craigslist is free, but the audience is limited. Other sites may be cheaper, but again the traffic is limited or the markets are not open to everything.

Footnote:
I'm far from an ebay cheerleader, but I will say the fees could be much worse (knock on wood).

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
13% is not bad, especially when you add in the costs of being able to take credit cards. Plus, you reach a global market. The things I sell don't sell well around here.

If you look at online collectibles auctions like Heritage, the seller's commission there is 20% - 25%. Plus the buyer will also have to pay a buyer's premium on the other side.

We should all be thankful ebay's fee's aren't higher. Although charging a final value fee on shipping is pretty shady, if you ask me.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I know I used to be able to use PayPal gift to send money - for free. Now over the last few months they're charging me for that. I sent $1500 and they charged me like $43 for that.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
It's a bargain. When I was moving I contacted a local auction house in NH to see what it would cost to have them auction off the stuff I didn't feel like bringing to Tennessee. This was just for me to take it all to them and have them put it in their regularly scheduled Monday night auction. Nothing special and no real work on their part. They get 40%

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a bargain. When I was moving I contacted a local auction house in NH to see what it would cost to have them auction off the stuff I didn't feel like bringing to Tennessee. This was just for me to take it all to them and have them put it in their regularly scheduled Monday night auction. Nothing special and no real work on their part. They get 40%

Wow, I charged 50% to do an estate sale and felt a little bad about it. But me and two other people worked our tails off for a solid week.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a new ebay seller, I didn't know they charged that much. After I sold a couple things I saw how much was Pay Pal charges and I thought that was it. Then I got hit with the ebay fee at the end of the month. I has been selling my stuff cheaper than similar items on ebay and now I know why. :) I had to raise my prices a little to make any real profit.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I used to be able to use PayPal gift to send money - for free. Now over the last few months they're charging me for that. I sent $1500 and they charged me like $43 for that.
You still can send money to friends and family for free. You have to use the "friends or family option" that's all. They more or less changed the gift option to friend or family option.

meanpc

Jun 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a booth in an antique store that I sell in also. I pay them $100/month for the booth plus 10% of sales. If the buyer uses a card, which close to half do, it's another 3%. On top of that, I get to deal with filing sales tax and all that jazz. The only reason I have the booth is so that I can move larger items. I kept coming across incredible deals on furniture and it hurt to let them go. It's also a good place for me to sell fragile stuff.

Craigslist and Facebook are the best, if you can get a decent price. Nothing beats getting cash that you get to keep 100% of.

13% is worth it to have access to the market. That's why people *****, but very few leave.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
13 % and EBay tells you how you can sell and how long the buyer can keep your stuff and still demand a refund.

Nothing will ever change as long as sellers are willing to give up their rights.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
13 % and EBay tells you how you can sell and how long the buyer can keep your stuff and still demand a refund.

Nothing will ever change as long as sellers are willing to give up their rights.

Ebay is a private company, not a government with a constitution.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay is a private company, not a government with a constitution.
Duh no kidding, never said it was, doesn't mean you tolerate them violating your rights as sellers...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Duh no kidding, never said it was, doesn't mean you tolerate them violating your rights as sellers...

Trying to understand what rights we have? What document/written policy gives us these rights you speak of?

Last I checked in the world of business, everything and I mean EVERYTHING is profit driven.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What rights do ebay sellers have? ebay is a corporation, and corporations are created solely to create profit for the stockholders while limiting risk. Our seller's rights with ebay extend only as far as our ability to create profit for ebay, or else we won't be selling on ebay.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What rights do ebay sellers have? ebay is a corporation, and corporations are created solely to create profit for the stockholders while limiting risk. Our seller's rights with ebay extend only as far as our ability to create profit for ebay, or else we won't be selling on ebay.
And as long as sellers continue to think that way they will continue to abuse sellers rights.

I have been selling on EBay since 1999. I have all but stop selling because of EBays new policies and the way they abuse sellers and our rights. ....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to understand what rights we have? What document/written policy gives us these rights you speak of?

Last I checked in the world of business, everything and I mean EVERYTHING is profit driven.
Typical.......

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
And as long as sellers continue to think that way they will continue to abuse sellers rights.

I have been selling on EBay since 1999. I have all but stop selling because of EBays new policies and the way they abuse sellers and our rights. ....

TH, I am asking you an honest question. Not trying to pick a fight. You are saying our rights have been taken away. That would mean we had rights to begin with.

I am NOT taking ebay's side here, in fact, I favor the opposite. I often find that large corporations abuse their power and hurt their customers in the name of profit.

All I am asking is, what "rights", specifically, are you talking about?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread