Eddys

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today I went out and looked around at the creek I pan at because it just rained like crazy and it's finally running really good. Sometimes I'll find nuggets laying on some topdirt after a big storm. But anyways... I noticed a few areas just before the creek took a couple of sharp turns it looked like there was a circular chunk of land missing from the side of the creek and the water was swirling around in it the opposite direction of the way the creek was flowing. That's an eddy right? I've always heard that those are good for finding gold in but I've never really noticed this spot for some reason. There's actually a few different spots that randomly appeared and do the same thing. I'll probably test it out tomorrow.. Just when I thought I cleaned everything out a storm comes through and wipes my progress clean! Gotta love it! =] Not sure how that spot turned into an eddy though.. Nobody ever pans on this creek so I don't think somebody dug it out... :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N8Longly,
Those are not eddys. they are whirlpools. An eddy is the downstrean side of boulders or where the water is flowing over the boulders and causing the water to pull the heavies in behind causing a vortex trapping the heavies such as gold causing them to drop out and settle. The whirlpools will pretty much do the same thing.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
N8Longly,
Those are not eddys. they are whirlpools. An eddy is the downstrean side of boulders or where the water is flowing over the boulders and causing the water to pull the heavies in behind causing a vortex trapping the heavies such as gold causing them to drop out and settle. The whirlpools will pretty much do the same thing.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

Ohhh ok thanks. I checked them out and got a little bit from them. Just fines, but you never know until you try. = /

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's right. Like playing the lottery, you cand win if you don't play. Had a freind once tell me I obviously don't understand the odds of winning the lottery since I played every week. I told him my odds are better than his since he didn't play. Same with gold mining. Odds are high but even higher if you don't try.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions