Eight Glass Trade Beads Anyone?

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Please explain to me how these 8 beads sold for $550. Yesterday. Is it the bead held by photographer's fingers that is so valuable? Because it is "polychrome"....meaning multi-colored?
Or could it be that the stripes on four of the beads are thought to have been hand painted? Nah. No Way!

550.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend has a bead that came from E TN. Hold it up to the light/sun, inside is a picture of a full dressed French Soldier. Go figure. Came from a Cherokee Village

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend has a bead that came from E TN. Hold it up to the light/sun, inside is a picture of a full dressed French Soldier. Go figure. Came from a Cherokee Village
That sounds awesome! Do you have a picture? I'd love to see it.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Price is high. Was that on Ebay or another kind of auction? They ARE early. The one on the bottom right seems to be a blue padre bead, a common type, the one on the upper right, if dark blue is a Huron type bead. But that kind of money, I don't know.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then it's people just getting carried away. They will have a near impossible time selling them for that kind of money. I bought a few of the Huron beads for less than $20 some time back.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sometimes people pay a premium if a piece or pieces were found close to where they live. Not saying that’s the case, since I have no way of knowing, but that does happen, because I have seen it happen. But usually you need at least two people who really want it. If a regular auction house, and not ebay, some bidders leave absentee bids. If such a bidder left a high bid, for whatever personal reason, watch out. The House knows that bid exists, and it will reach that bid, more often than not. The House will make sure it reaches that bid.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Was listening to a money program on the CBC radio about this crazy, frenzy, buying prices. So might explain the price.
They gave an example of a box of bubble gum cards. $5.00 a year ago, now are selling out at $150.00 a box.
Collector craze is opening up, as homes.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those beads might be worth $75 to someone that just really wanted them. It could be that they were tied to the Iron Horse collection or as said a bidding war was going on. The beads that are pictured are not that rare. The rarest one is the Chevron being held.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The chevron is probably a 4 layer. I have some 6 and 7 layer chevrons. Not many.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread