Eight long hours but I enjoyed it.

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
Hey everyone, I am two days away from going to Guam for my next assignment and a friend said I could detect his and his niebors yard. The houses are on base and was built in 1933. After eight hours and a very sore arm I came away wit the following:

1 1961 silver dime

1 Army Air Corp lapel pin

1 Alabama Tax token

17 wheat pennies (soaking but the oldest is a 1928)

1 childs ring (cheapie)

1 copper brooch

.57 cents in clad

3 very large caliber shells

All in all not bad for eight hours of detecting. The ground was soft from the recent rains so it was easy digging.
I'll be going back tomorrow to see what I may have missed then on Thursday I take the big plane to Guam. I don't have my camera so I don't have any pictures. I will be getting an underwater detector when I get there. I'm thinking about the Surf PI Pro, it fits my price range. Anyone have one of these? Are they worth the money or are they pretty much all the same? Your feedback is welcome. Thanks .

Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, great digs there Ilovetodig!

Hope to see many posts from you in the future.

I'll be watching for them.

Best to you and your future assignment.

Badger

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a good time, just get out there and give it another shot......those silver coins are there somewhere! Keep on hunting!

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
As I'm sure you know, be careful of the left over munitions in the dirt. A friend of mine lived in Guam and found a multitude of grenades and mortars. Good luck over there! -Ben

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guam? I didn't know it was still out there in the ocean. Isn't that where the Doo Doo birds build their nests by the runway and they have to be run off once a day so the planes can land and takeoff? Wow, that's a desolate assignment, but perhaps you can R&R in Hawaii, or Manila? If you run into the ghost of John Wayne out there, tell him I said hi......uh, no that's Iwo Jima I am thinking about. Never mind! Military assignment I suppose? Well at least it's not Thule Greenland where everyone lives under the ice cap, or the Alutians where elephant nose seals begin to look attractive after a few months. ;) At any rate, stay in the loop and do some MDing out there and let us know how it goes. Monty

S

stefen

ENJOY GUAM.

SPENT SOME TIME THERE ON PROJECTS FOR THE NEW FAA TOWER AND FOR THE AFB.

KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THE SNAKES...THEY ARE IN THE TREES AS WELL.

THE HUMIDY SHOULD BE NEARING RAIN...99.99 PERCENT.

Goldringer

May 6, 2006
Earth
I spent 25 years on Guam as a manager at SRF. I detected there from 1980 until 1992. It was and will be good. The park in Agana produced over 500 silver coins for me including some Spanish.

I hit the sea shore and swimming area with a Garrett Sea hunter and Whites PI. Wow did I score lots of old gold rings. many military rings from Matapang beach, the old R&R swimming hole. First days there produced 10 to 15 gold rings with bunches of silver tossed in. Gab Gab also produced bags of silver and gold rings where the old diving board and raft were .

All the old Navy housing produced bags of silver as well as the football field. There is still plenty of naval homes I did not have time to work. The old barracks on Naval Station were loaded with silver coinage. I believe that I may have been the first person to detect there with a good machine and knowledge to use it. My first land machine there was a Whites 6000 D which is still a good producing machine.

The old Adelupe School was a gold mine. So much silver on the grounds out front where the old play grounds were. I found pipes in the ground that supported old swings and slides. At the base of one slide the ground was absolutely a solid mass of silver coins about 4 inches down. Took a number of gold rings from there also. You would drop to you knees to dig and never get up as there would be another coin just inches from the one you just dug. I spent weeks there collecting silver and of course the old copper pennies by the thousand.

All of the old schools were good producers of silver. The Santa Rita elementary school and Agat Schools and Churches were right in my neighborhood so i hit them often. I would go there nearly every afternoon when I first began hunting. I would love to find that kind of hunting again.

I still have hundreds of gold rings that I recover on Guam. Some I have traced back to owners and returned. I recently returned an old custom made silver military bracelet to a lady in Florida. her husband had lost it 60 years prior and I found it off Matapang beach in the ocean. She told me she had made it for him but he has passed away in year 2000.

Laws have changed now and you need to get a Gov Guam Permit to metal detect so do that first thing.

Sure like to see what you find today. Umatic and Merizo have good possibility of producing Spanish Gold. Some was found up on the North side of Umatic Bay.

Enjoy and give us an update.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would gladly spend 16 hours for those finds...

HH
-GC

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lovetodig, It sounds like you're in for some good detecting in Guam....unless goldringer cleaned it all up. ;) Good luck! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread