Electric line interference

Metal Defector

Dec 5, 2020
West Chester Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone tell me if overhead power lines will interfere with my AT pro ? I was at an old 1800's school house property yesterday and my detector was acting crazy. When I used the pin pointer function on a target it got louder when I pulled the coil away from the ground!? How is this possible? The only thing I can think of is there is a couple of electric wires running to the school house overhead. I moved pretty far away from the power lines and it still happens? There is also an underground wire running through the center of the property. Very frustrating.

fonzy182

Greenie
Mar 14, 2013
Can anyone tell me if overhead power lines will interfere with my AT pro ? I was at an old 1800's school house property yesterday and my detector was acting crazy. When I used the pin pointer function on a target it got louder when I pulled the coil away from the ground!? How is this possible? The only thing I can think of is there is a couple of electric wires running to the school house overhead. I moved pretty far away from the power lines and it still happens? There is also an underground wire running through the center of the property. Very frustrating.
Yes. Pretty sure all detectors go nuts around power lines

DWerk

Oct 18, 2020
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites V3i, AT Pro, Deus 1, Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the detector to locate the point of interference; raise the coil in the air and turn a circle until you receive the highest signal level, walk towards the direction until you receive max signal in the air (don't touch any wires with coil :) ). You will have located the problem...

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds more like a ground balance issue. Did you have ground tracking turned off?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the detector to locate the point of interference; raise the coil in the air and turn a circle until you receive the highest signal level, walk towards the direction until you receive max signal in the air (don't touch any wires with coil :) ). You will have located the problem...
Locating the issue is not the problem. Overcoming it is the real problem

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread