What's new

Electrolysis coin cleaning

creade

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2013
Messages
1,208
Reaction score
1,699
Golden Thread
0
Location
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question about lc's . I have a couple I've found that are pretty smooth but you can still see some detail. Would electrolysis give me any more detail or would I be wasting my time?
 
DO NOT USE ELECTROSIS!!!!!! I REPEAT DO NOT USE ELECTROSIS!!!!!! you will DAMAGE all coins by using electrosis
 
go for it- it's not Curleys millions! when you connect up- if the relic isn't bubbling swap the wire around- use a paper clip if you dont have alligator clips DSC00783.webp salt water and a 9v battery out of the smoke detector!
 
Don't clean coins like that though
 
OK thanks Mr.t I the picture wasn't loading for me so I didn't know what type it was.
 
When I've tried this it has never improved the coin. It just leaves shiney splodges and deep pits. Coin ruined.
 
DO NOT USE ELECTROSIS!!!!!! I REPEAT DO NOT USE ELECTROSIS!!!!!! you will DAMAGE all coins by using electrosis

Hmmmm, never even heard of the method. Now, electrolysis, that method can do great things when used properly.
 
When I've tried this it has never improved the coin. It just leaves shiney splodges and deep pits. Coin ruined.

You have to understand the process, how to control it and what you are cleaning. Copper and bronze coins can be extremely damaged by their time in the ground. Electrolysis can remove that corrosion but it will show you the true state of the coin. You have to decide if you want a clean object or one that has the ghost of former detail in the corrosion layer.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom