electrolysis question

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From time to time I see suggestions on here to run artifacts (including one i posted) through the electrolysis process to clean off the rust, preserve it,etc.

I am going to assume I don't have the knowledge nor the equipment necessary for the "electrolysis" process. Even if I did, I don't even have any space that could be used as a "lab." So what's the next option? Pay a museum to do it? Soak the object in olive oil for three months? Thanks.

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
Just do a you tube search for how to make or how to use electrolysis machine. many items will come up and are easy and inexpensive. Enjoy

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Home Made for small items:
Building and using homemade electrolysis

This is one of the ones that I use minus the spoon that broke off:
CAM00522.jpg
CAM00522-1.jpg

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Several years I did a write up for Whites. I think I still have it. It's actually simple and requires very little space. I'll send you the info if you want it. Tony
From time to time I see suggestions on here to run artifacts (including one i posted) through the electrolysis process to clean off the rust, preserve it,etc.

I am going to assume I don't have the knowledge nor the equipment necessary for the "electrolysis" process. Even if I did, I don't even have any space that could be used as a "lab." So what's the next option? Pay a museum to do it? Soak the object in olive oil for three months? Thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tony, thanks. Sure I will take a look at it. Despite my admitted complete lack of prowess with this sort of thing I may just have to go ahead and bite the bullet.

Upvote 0

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi - It's easy-Just use a 9volt battery to get you started.
Use a steel nail, not stainless steel, as your sacrificial metal and throw a tablespoon of baking soda in the water.
When you attach the battery, the artifact should be bubbling not the nail!
DSC00783.JPG Metal detecting.jpg Button.jpg
This is a cool way to get into it- start off using unimportant stuff! There's a lot to learn!

Here is a link to the best resource I have found online

Remove Rust by Electrolysis - Detailed Tutorial

Good luck

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I make them out of dc adaptors. Check out my youtube video. Detailed instructions are in the description.

If thats Stainless Steel- stop doing that. Rule one is not stainless steel. It produces chromium- STOP using ss steel unless its outside.
Steel is fine - not stainless indoors! Julia Roberts Would not be happy.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
When it comes to small systems like these do it in a well ventilated area, heck just the act of running DC (direct current) into water releases trapped hydrogen gas. Remember the water column that we ran DC to and then collected the hydrogen gas that was released, and then we ignited it? NEVER USE AC (ALTERNATING CURRENT), IF YOU DO YOU WILL BE ELECTROCUTED.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wall warts and 9volts are OK for very small items, but for larger relics and my case antique engine parts , you need something bigger. My standard is a battery charger and 5gal plastic bucket. I have one that is 55gal and a 50amp Mighty Mite. I use sodium carbonate for the electrolyte. Tony

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread