billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a second sale of two that started last June. The garage sale folks sort of "learned" from their first sale, so the new inventory was almost firmly priced, and the jewelry was a majority of costume quality. From that sale, I did find a 1.5 gram, 14kt yellow gold, "Belly Button Piercing" for $1 and 35 grams of sterling jewelry for .25-cents to $2 a baggie. What my wife found was, well, the most odd thing I've ever encountered.....never mind the 3-piece set would be found to be stamped 14kt yellow gold.

It's an upscale, 3"x10" long jewelry store boxed set of a necklace and matching earrings. Oddly, it was found sitting out on one of many 20 ft. long and well loaded tables, and well away from where the jewelry baggies were. The red with gold embossing box wasn't priced, so many people behind us also passed on it. On a the second round around the tables, my wife picked it up, opened it, and then asked what would it cost. A young lady came over to get it and walked across the 3-car garage with an silk-smooth, acid-finished floor, and toward a rather stern-looking older lady in her 60's. Already half way from the two, she overheard the estate sale owner and her helper talking. The owner said, "It was from a trip to Africa. Joe, (now ex-Joe; hence the estate sale) wanted me to buy it as a reminder of the trip. Tell her I'll take $25 for the set."

Now, I must have lead a rather 'sheltered life', but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around jewelry made from gold and elephant HAIR.... My wife found the karat markings when we got home.....and the other gold and sterling items are around the perimeter of the red background sheet.

What do you think about elephant hair jewelry?
Bill

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    644.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Elephant hair is quite valuable man!!!! To bald elephants who have a complex & want an elephant hair wig I guess! lol, I dunno if it does or not but that stuff is interesting!

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
If you can not find anything to price it against. I think this is a time I would go with 2795.00 or best offer

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
In the '60s, my dad had a business partner who was a big game hunter and he brought me back an elephant hair bracelet from Africa. I was probably 12 or so. No one had ever seen one. Then I started seeing them made out of silver or gold and quite a few people were wearing them. Then I started seeing them on a lot of gay guys, no idea why (not that there's anything wrong with that).

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the '60s, my dad had a business partner who was a big game hunter and he brought me back an elephant hair bracelet from Africa. I was probably 12 or so. No one had ever seen one. Then I started seeing them made out of silver or gold and quite a few people were wearing them. Then I started seeing them on a lot of gay guys, no idea why (not that there's anything wrong with that).
LOL! Not goin' there, although I can imagine...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tradition of the hunter taking tail as proof of claim followed by tails hair for bracelet an old one.
For others their own reasons I suppose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread