Elgin Pocket Watch (part)

Mahskeeter

Jun 18, 2016
Fort Gratiot, Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks ago I tried a new park. It's an older park, older neighborhood but I really don't know the history. On the one end of the park it's a little quiet, but I had snagged my first Mercury Dime a week prior. Anyway, I dug this piece and knew it was something because it came out clean. It reminded me of the Batman logo or something. I stuck it in my pocket and kept going. I double checked my hole and moved on.

It wasn't until almost 2 weeks later that I looked closer and realized it was part of a watch. A watch from the early 1900's. I found a couple pictures online with information about it. It's pretty cool that I found a part that had a serial number.

I've gone back a few more times looking in that area hoping to find more watch parts. I haven't found any, but I did manage an older very worn Canadian Dime I believe. This park I have been at is only a stone's throw from the river that separates us from our Canadian friends.

I love this hobby!

Scott

20170907_135547-2.jpg20170907_135532-2.jpgwatch1.JPG20170906_154712_HDR-3.jpg

Upvote 17
Your spot on with the dating 1899-1903 and the Vickie silver is pre 1900 for sure I'd bet. Nicely done!

it is always amazing when we realize that we have actually dug something better than what we first thought we did. having a serial number is sweet too. congrats

Congrats on the finds..:thumbsup:

Nice finds! Your pocket watch piece dates to 1901 and once belonged to a size 12s pocket watch with 7 jewels.

I guess if I was to find a piece of a coin, I would want to find the piece with the date on it. lol
Congratulations on a nice recovery and the Vickie.

THATS A NEEET SWEEET FIND..

Thanks everyone! I've gone out a few more times but haven't been as lucky lately. I guess that's the thrill that keeps us going.

Nice recovery and cool watch relic! :occasion14:

Nice finds.

You might be able to use that H on the Vickie along with her face to narrow the date down between 1871-1890 (face gets fatter and profile as a percentage of the coin seems to increase)...

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?canadian_coins=10-cents-1858-1901

Edit: check for yourself but I think it's 1890. The profile touches the A in Canada at the bottom and the leaf touches the I at the top.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back