What's new

Encounters of the "bird" kind...**UPDATE...COA ARRIVED**

stringfrenzy

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
471
Reaction score
439
Golden Thread
0
Location
NW OH
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Encounters of the "bird" kind...**UPDATE...COA ARRIVED**

Got out for a short hunt this afternoon. Wasn't out for very long but did manage to pull a couple clad and a 28D wheat. Shortly after turning the detector on though I got a signal at around 5" or so under tree roots and retrieved this bird band. Pretty cool find I thought. Looks to be an older band possibly and most likely from a Duck or Goose. I reported the band and answered a few questions. I should have my certificate of appreciation in about a week with the banding info of the bird. Will update then.

Thanks for looking and HH!

CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION ARRIVED 12/1 see below...
 

Attachments

  • 918.webp
    918.webp
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,238
  • BIRD BAND.webp
    BIRD BAND.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,234
Upvote 0
Re: Encounters of the "bird" kind...

scrounger d detector collector said:
a likely story....

tell me why is there fat dribbles on your shirt.

What the aytch e double toothpicks does that mean?
 
Re: Encounters of the "bird" kind...

Nope...no bird eating for me. Actually took a bit when I reported it to explain to them that there was no bird attatched to the band. That I had found the band while detecting. :D :D
 
Re: Encounters of the "bird" kind...

Thats cool , Ive never dug a bird band but it seems interesting to report the info and all that.WTG!
 
Re: Encounters of the "bird" kind...

Yeah it was an interesting experience calling the tag in. Thanks to all for the comments.
 
Re: Encounters of the "bird" kind...**UPDATE...COA ARRIVED**

Not sure why it took so long to get the certificate. When the band was reported I was told I would have the certificate within 3 to 7 business days. When I checked into the delay awhile back apparently there was information that they were still trying to verify. Either way the certificate came in yesterday. The band belonged to a male Canadian Goose that had been banded in 1994.
 

Attachments

  • Certificate.webp
    Certificate.webp
    31.9 KB · Views: 1,201
Re: Encounters of the "bird" kind...**UPDATE...COA ARRIVED**

stringfrenzy said:
Not sure why it took so long to get the certificate. When the band was reported I was told I would have the certificate within 3 to 7 business days. When I checked into the delay awhile back apparently there was information that they were still trying to verify. Either way the certificate came in yesterday. The band belonged to a male Canadian Goose that had been banded in 1994.
The last one I reported, I never received the COA in the mail. Eventually they just emailed me a file I could print off.
 
Re: Encounters of the "bird" kind...**UPDATE...COA ARRIVED**

That's what they did in this case as well. Earlier in the year they quit sending paper copies of certificates. Now they are all digital. When the certificate is ready they will email it to you as well as keeping a digital copy online.
 
Re: Encounters of the "bird" kind...**UPDATE...COA ARRIVED**

Cool post I'd love to find a bird band some day. It is interesting that your band seems to have been recovered very close to where the goose was originally banded in 1994, when the bird was too young to fly. Kind of makes you wonder if that bird ever lived until 1995....
 
Re: Encounters of the "bird" kind...**UPDATE...COA ARRIVED**

stringfrenzy said:
That's what they did in this case as well. Earlier in the year they quit sending paper copies of certificates. Now they are all digital. When the certificate is ready they will email it to you as well as keeping a digital copy online.
That kinda sucks, I preferred the ones they mailed as they are better quality then what my printer will churn out. You'd think they would have told me that, I must have had to message them 5 times >.<
 
Re: Encounters of the "bird" kind...**UPDATE...COA ARRIVED**

Hunthicks said:
stringfrenzy said:
That's what they did in this case as well. Earlier in the year they quit sending paper copies of certificates. Now they are all digital. When the certificate is ready they will email it to you as well as keeping a digital copy online.
That kinda sucks, I preferred the ones they mailed as they are better quality then what my printer will churn out. You'd think they would have told me that, I must have had to message them 5 times >.<

It's the thought that counts. Maybe they thought you'd forget about it. :laughing7:

I called in a homing pigeon band a couple of years ago. They said someone would stop by and pick
it and the pigeon up. Three days later, I took the pigeon out of the fridg and buried it. I don't think
they want it. :dontknow: :laughing7: :laughing7:
 
Re: Encounters of the "bird" kind...**UPDATE...COA ARRIVED**

That is a cool experience, whether they send a paper or email, who cares its really cool to help track this to the end. Kudos to you.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom