end of a raptor king

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I spent the entire weekend out at the farm. On approach to the old home site, for a little MD'g, motion along the wood line caught my attention.
Initially, it appeared a hawk was hovering over a freshly captured meal. Alas, it was not the case. This Red-Tailed Hawk was obviously ill. He would only look up and offer a very weak hiss and then lower his head again. He exhibited no outward sign of injury.
There was no point to catching him and removing him to any type of bird rehab, as his advanced stage of illness rendered him too weak to move. A half hour after this picture was taken he was down permanently.
I have a real weak spot for raptors. This old boy soars now, again, in the happy hawk hunting grounds. But he will be missed here.

DSC01021.jpg

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I love them too. I have been waking up lately to the cries of 3 red tails soaring above my house. & a bald eagle has been frequenting the pond in back of my house. beautiful birds. sad to see one die.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad to see, I recently 'put one down' that was found near a dumped dead dog, (poisoned), I guess, it was unable to move or fly.

Fossis............

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Ohh, my favorite of all birds, what a shame. I had someone once ask me to sculpt an eagle for them, they had pictures of one. In the pics, he was obviously sick, he couldn't hold his head up, the guy thought it was neat, he thought it looked like the bird was praying, of all things. I declined the offer. At least he did notify the right authorities, but the eagle died. Such noble looking creatures.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bravowhiskey said:
I spent the entire weekend out at the farm. On approach to the old home site, for a little MD'g, motion along the wood line caught my attention.
Initially, it appeared a hawk was hovering over a freshly captured meal. Alas, it was not the case. This Red-Tailed Hawk was obviously ill. He would only look up and offer a very weak hiss and then lower his head again. He exhibited no outward sign of injury.
There was no point to catching him and removing him to any type of bird rehab, as his advanced stage of illness rendered him too weak to move. A half hour after this picture was taken he was down permanently.
I have a real weak spot for raptors. This old boy soars now, again, in the happy hawk hunting grounds. But he will be missed here.

DSC01021.jpg
Proberbly suffered a fatal internal head trauma, perhaps from a vehicle :'( I found a Kestrel in a similar condition which was just sat right on a major road, I stopped and took him to a sactuary for owls, they guy said it was suffering from concusion, it would either pull around quickly or go down hill quickly. Beautifull Bird a real shame :'( did you stay with him till the end.

SS

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Hi bravo! I didn't see the eagle, just the pics. I did try to rescue an immature RT from my Mom's lawn once. It had a burn mark on it's leg, and a constircted pupil. I think it hit the highline. It was a baby. I called all around, but couldn't find anyone to take it. RedTails are too common, not threatened. (*Pre-internet days). The game ranger just said it's illeagle to keep them. I tried for two weeks to save him, but it's just a really sad story, and I failed. These raptors are very delicate, any wild bird is. Without proper knowledgable care most die. In fact, I've read that even after appropriate care is given, a high percentage die. Thankgoodness now, if the same need arises, I have the internet to find good help. There are certified rescuers out there! YAY! Again, noble, just fits the picture.

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hey all, thanks for the comments. Everyone but chicken farmers enjoy raptors it seems.
I buried this bird, as there were buzzards flying over head. Nature take its' course be damned, I wasn't going to let that happen since I was in a position to prevent it. Let 'em find some road killed 'coon or skunk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread