Entire CA small town moved

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Fifteen or so years ago I worked in direct sales in California and one of the towns I was in was DORRIS. It's up north near the Oregon line. In a conversion with an old timer there I learned that what is called Dorris now is "New Dorris" the original town site was about a mile north and years ago the entire town was moved to the present site either to be near the Railroad or because of the railroad. The old site looked like a great place for a modern detector to be swung as it was sandy and sage brush at the time I was there. I have never researched the details and now am a little too creaky, but if any of you members in that area would be interested give it a try. H.H.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I was just reading about the town of Tallangatta that was moved down the road after it was decided that the nearby Hume Dam was to increase its water level for irrigation proposes.
I think there are alot of these towns that moved because of flooding,railroads,dams ,etc and it would pay to check them out.

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
silverswede said:
Fifteen or so years ago I worked in direct sales in California and one of the towns I was in was DORRIS. It's up north near the Oregon line. In a conversion with an old timer there I learned that what is called Dorris now is "New Dorris" the original town site was about a mile north and years ago the entire town was moved to the present site either to be near the Railroad or because of the railroad. The old site looked like a great place for a modern detector to be swung as it was sandy and sage brush at the time I was there. I have never researched the details and now am a little too creaky, but if any of you members in that area would be interested give it a try. H.H.

That sounds like a interesting town and area to search.....maybe "She who must be obeyed" and I will go up there during spring break. It sounds like a fun place.

T

TreasureTales

I've been to Dorris many times. It is a tiny town in the middle of farming and ranching country.

There is a town in Nevada that was originally in Oregon. When the property taxes in Oregon were raised, most of the people in this tiny town were so outraged that they literally moved their homes across the state line and into Nevada. Now that's what I call community spirit! The name of the town is Denio.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread