Equinox 600, ready, set, go.. I Hope.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just ordered my Equinox 600 and from things I read i'm a bit nervous. I'm not really a tech type guy, I have pre read the manual and, WOW.
I hope there is a turn and go to start that will do the job due to the fact it will take me a while to learn.
I'm not new to detecting, been doing it for years but, for some reason the guy seems a bit intimidating.
Wish me luck.. Joe

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not that bad. It has a lot of options but to start just pick one of the preset modes and go for it. Try different ones until you see which works best in each situation. Learning is half the fun.

Congratulations on the new machine.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably have to push more buttons on your microwave to reheat pizza than turn on and go with the 600....power up....noise cancel.....set the ground balancing to tracking and go.

OP
OP
JOe L

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, like you guys mention, I'm going to go with that quick start guide and go from there.
I am back to the farm I hunt on Saturday, will bring it along but, my T2 will be close by. (well I guess that depends if I receive it on Friday ), if not, its just me and T.

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd use Park 2 on a farm around the buildings.....

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a place you know will have lots of change it'll help you get familiar with tones for your first time out.. Use park 1 turn sensitivity down to 23. dig it all and start learning!!

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the sensitivity is preset at 20.....if there is a massive amount of iron (nails and small crap) that gets overwhelming....turn it down to 14 (in increments of 2)....that'll help quite things down

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pick a preset and ready set go! Take some change with you to "test".

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably have to push more buttons on your microwave to reheat pizza than turn on and go with the 600....power up....noise cancel.....set the ground balancing to tracking and go.

Unless you have EMI or nasty ground, you usually don't even have to do that! Pick a mode that best matches the type of detecting you will be doing, adjust the sensitivity until it's both high and stable, and push the horseshoe button if you're looking for iron relics or small gold. Have fun and dig most iffy targets, especially at depth. You'll learn in no time.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your new purchase. I think in time you’ll really enjoy the 600. You need to spend a lot of hours on it to really understand what it’s telling you. Keep at it and good luck.

OP
OP
JOe L

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let us know what you dig up.
Well guys, I didn’t dig up patience. I had to take her out in the yard even thought she was telling me it wasn’t ready. I keep looking at that green light blinking and had to go.
So my first time on...
in my yard my T2 goes crazy. Screams and jumps. I live close to power lines, phone lines feet from my yard, yard littered with hidden trash.
The 600, powered on, did the noise cancel just like it said, CHECK,, tried GB, ( had to run back in the house to see how, forgot) CHECK,, threw my loose change around the yard, CHECK..
she purred like a kitten, so much more quiet then my T2 and hit all targets. Of course they were lying on the ground. So raised coil about 8 or 9 inches and she still sang out on all targets. Went around the yard and it’s hits all my t2 gives me signals on (never dug) so if this is when I’m just a newb, I’m a happy treasure hunter.
Nevr got down to the farm when I do I’ll let all know.. 600 back on charge until she’s full. Thank all.
ps, sounds are soooo mellow, will have to get used to that. Almost like listening to stereo the first time after coming from an AM channel.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great report Joe. When learning the Nox just get one aspect or function down, memorize it by applying it over and over. Like how to GB or Do the noise cancel. Eventually it all makes sense and is rather easy to use. Good luck!

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
JOeL I've used and or formally tested just about every make and model of VLF detector on the market. I own or have owned the CTX 3030, Excal II, XP Deus and AT Pro. Sold the Deus and gave the AT Pro to my son. The CTX and Excal have not seen the beach since I got my 2 EQX 800s. The EQX has become my go to machine for the beach and I've been hunting our Florida beaches for a significant number of years. Having said that, were I to hunt in deeper water again, my Excal would see some action but hunting in deeper water at 71 years old is not really on my bucket list these days! 8-)

My guess is you'll love the EQX the more familiar you become with it.

Just the view from my foxhole.....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now it's time to go outside and play play play!

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how many Deus owners wished they bought a Nox? I’m not feeling it with my Nox like most that own then do. I bought it for water hunting which I really don’t do much of.

OP
OP
JOe L

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once I get down to the farm I hunt I will do some comparisons, 600 and T2. My t2 has always take care of me down there and the 600 will have some big shoes to fill in that aspect. I do have Nel sharpshooter (love that coil) on my t2 right now and due to size it takes time to search my area. (It’s MANY acres and I have only scratched the surface) The larger coil one the 600 may be an advantage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread