Equinox 900 update.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm curious what some of you professional detectorist would like to see for a equinox 900 update?

I see & read about all the testing on the Manticore update. I read about some saying it suffered a lil in depth on the update. Some seeing it more of a problem in medium to heavy mineralized soils.

Is there any testing going on with the 700/900 platform? Or do you think once the Manticore has had the bugs worked out of it, they will apply some of the Manticore update findings to the equinox 900?

I'm unsure what to think of the Nox 900 yet. The jumpy TID#'s dont seem to bother me, as I'm more of audio hunter. This is also my 1st Minelab detector & I'm unsure what to expect.
What's your guys & gals thoughts? Thanks & will appreciate any & all info.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The jumpy numbers are a bit more then I would like, it is a very good machine, However, it has turned out that the Legend has become my "go to" machine. I bought the 900 because I liked the 800. The larger number of segments are O.K., except for me, I cannot really see them all that well. The dp mode for sound was different, but I still use the Multi tone instead. The 900 is built much better than the 800 for sure. You have a very good machine KS, for me though, it has become my 2nd choice to use most often. I like minelabs very much, this one is my 4th one.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The jumpy numbers are a bit more then I would like, it is a very good machine, However, it has turned out that the Legend has become my "go to" machine. I bought the 900 because I liked the 800. The larger number of segments are O.K., except for me, I cannot really see them all that well. The dp mode for sound was different, but I still use the Multi tone instead. The 900 is built much better than the 800 for sure. You have a very good machine KS, for me though, it has become my 2nd choice to use most often. I like minelabs very much, this one is my 4th one.
No theres no doubt the 900 is a good machine. I was curious to see what others have thought about the 900 & what they would like to see in a update.

It to me just seemed like minelab put all of their other detectors on the back burner since the Manticore release. Lot of us would like to see Xterra Pro coils this year also. Maybe a 700/900 update as well. Thanks for the reply.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do agree with you KS, Minelab might be able to do an update on something, but as to what, I think the fella's who use the 900 alot more would have some really good thoughts.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 700/900 IS an update! I mean really.....it's less than a year old and you're wanting an update already? I love the 900. I would like to see the ferrous and non-ferrous numbers like the Etrac, CTX, and Manitcore, but, I'm fine without it. We could all use better EMI rejection these days regardless of what machine you use. Other than other fantasy, pie in the sky features, I can't think of anything else to improve it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 700/900 IS and update! I mean really.....it's less than a year old and you're wanting an update already? I love the 900. I would like to see the ferrous and non-ferrous numbers like the Etrac, CTX, and Manitcore, but, I'm fine without it. We could all use better EMI rejection these days regardless of what machine you use. Other than other fantasy, pin in the sky features, I can't think of anything else to improve it.
No I'm not wanting any type of update. I was just curious if any of the 900 owners thought anything possibly could be updated / made better.

I also was thinking maybe minelab was focusing on the Manticore update, that way bits & pieces of the manticore firmware/software might be applied to the Nox 900 so to speak.

Really the only gripe I got is it's hard to see the screen in the sun, but I havent held a detector that isn't hard to see the screen in the sun. Thanks.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KS, I found that using the backlight, which is Red and very easy to see, really can make a difference. I do not often use it, but it IS nice to have on hand.

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Besides agreeing with needing better EMI rejection, the only other thing I'd change would be the hand grip diameter. It's a little too thick. Minelab could have made a changeable backstrap feature like handgun grips, that would allow each user to find their comfort zone.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides agreeing with needing better EMI rejection, the only other thing I'd change would be the hand grip diameter. It's a little too thick. Minelab could have made a changeable backstrap feature like handgun grips, that would allow each user to find their comfort zone.
Agreed. I've advocated an adjustable handle for years....both grip diameter and angle. That's not just a 900 issue. I'd like to see that with every detector. It can't be that hard to design, and certainly not a big expense to build..... I mean I have an adjustable lift handle on my sand scoop for crying out loud! Cost $20 at Home Depot.

Groundhogg

Apr 16, 2022
Franklin, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, X-Terra Pro, Quantum II, DFX, Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 900 fits me fine but this is a cool idea. Pachmayr pistol grips...I'm all in!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Now have just over 15hrs on my 700. I've noticed that Beach 1 is not working on my wet sand unless I turn the sens down several notches. Lots of falsing. I am not sure if its working as designed and I need to just go to beach 2 when i get close to waters edge or if its a problem that needs an update. But on my 600 I used B1 pretty much all of the time. Now I am in B2 on the wet stuff.

As far as the numbers - they are jumping all over the place. Then again I dig everything that beeps so its not a huge deal but better locking would be nice. It would be nice to just get a chart that says how numbers have changed for different metals vs the 600/800 too.

diggininms

Nov 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now have just over 15hrs on my 700. I've noticed that Beach 1 is not working on my wet sand unless I turn the sens down several notches. Lots of falsing. I am not sure if its working as designed and I need to just go to beach 2 when i get close to waters edge or if its a problem that needs an update. But on my 600 I used B1 pretty much all of the time. Now I am in B2 on the wet stuff.

As far as the numbers - they are jumping all over the place. Then again I dig everything that beeps so its not a huge deal but better locking would be nice. It would be nice to just get a chart that says how numbers have changed for different metals vs the 600/800 too.
Beach 1 is for dry sand. Beach 2 is for wet sand. Probably why you are having problem.

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious what some of you professional detectorist would like to see for a equinox 900 update?

I see & read about all the testing on the Manticore update. I read about some saying it suffered a lil in depth on the update. Some seeing it more of a problem in medium to heavy mineralized soils.

Is there any testing going on with the 700/900 platform? Or do you think once the Manticore has had the bugs worked out of it, they will apply some of the Manticore update findings to the equinox 900?

I'm unsure what to think of the Nox 900 yet. The jumpy TID#'s dont seem to bother me, as I'm more of audio hunter. This is also my 1st Minelab detector & I'm unsure what to expect.
What's your guys & gals thoughts? Thanks & will appreciate any & all info.
I would love to see them fix the erratic tid. This machine forces you to dig everything. A penny ranges from 50s to 80. Cripes my 20 year old whites puts this to shame for target accuracy. Sometimes I do not want to dig everything but cherrypick. Additionally the machine gives different tids when using different frequencies. I often have to hunt in single frequency because it's the only way to stop the emi chatter. Machine is super deep but after using several brands of machines over the years there is room for improvement on the 900.

OP
OP
K

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to see them fix the erratic tid. This machine forces you to dig everything. A penny ranges from 50s to 80. Cripes my 20 year old whites puts this to shame for target accuracy. Sometimes I do not want to dig everything but cherrypick. Additionally the machine gives different tids when using different frequencies. I often have to hunt in single frequency because it's the only way to stop the emi chatter. Machine is super deep but after using several brands of machines over the years there is room for improvement on the 900.
I'm not what to think. Yes it does have a bit of jumpy TID#'s. I think I cured myself by changing up my sweep speed physically. It's a great dig it all machine/relic detector.

I set up a cherry picking program with different tone breaks & pitch & I love it for just a simple coin cherry picking program. It really makes the coin jump out & say dig here!
I'll be curious to see if they offer any updates in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread