flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been beach hunting with a CZ-21 for a couple years and I found all kinds of great stuff. I got an equinox thinking it would be great for dry sand AND water hunting. I sold my CZ-21 after using the equinox for awhile. Well, it is pretty good, I can identify most targets (pennies!) before I dig them and avoid them if I need to, but it's TOO HOT. It picks up every little tiny bit of foil loud and clear ... and this is NO GOOD when you are digging underwater. Tiny bits of foil can be ANYWHERE so it's a real time waster. Also, the EQ800 is chatty like an AT-PRO. It's sort of hard on the ears, but messing with the tones can help.

I'm definitely going to keep my EQ800, because it does work pretty well, and the weight and backlight is nice, but I am considering buying another CZ-21. I don't really trust my EQ800 in the water.

I just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts about the two.

Last edited:

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't find my Nox chatty at all. It's quiet until I pass over something. Do you have the sensitivity too high? On the salt beach I can usually use 20 or so without chatter. I set the GB on 0.

As for the foil, if it's that much of a problem disc out that range.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't find my Nox chatty at all. It's quiet until I pass over something. Do you have the sensitivity too high? On the salt beach I can usually use 20 or so without chatter. I set the GB on 0.

As for the foil, if it's that much of a problem disc out that range.

That's not what I meant by chatty.. but it's not important. I just ordered another CZ-21.

Will keep both machines and choose one or the other depending on conditions.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot just how good it is

Got my CZ-21 today. I forgot how good this machine is! I had one before upgrading to my NOX.

My NOX will give me a very faint bouncy signal for really deep targets which is easy to ignore as chatter but with boost turned up on the CZ it just hammers them out at full volume. I totally forgot how great this machine is. I swiped a candy bar and my nox rang it up as good target and the CZ just ignored it. Excellent.

The stock configuration is pretty terrible, but shaft mounted it balances well. I can reach the disc knob easily with left hand by reaching over my right elbow. My last CZ had a trigger mod so I could switch between all metal and DISC 0 by pulling a trigger on the grip. Plan to get that set up again on this machine.

Yes it's old. Yes it's basic. Yes it's still awesome.

DISCLAIMER: I am referring to wet sand and water beach hunting only. For DRY sand or land the NOX is the winner.

IMG_0116.jpg

Last edited:

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same mount on my CZ. I does balance better but I wish the controls were a bit more accessible. I rarely use mine since I got my Nox though. I bought it thinking I was going to do more deep water hunting but that hasn't been the case. It's a good backup anyway.

OP
OP
F

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the same mount on my CZ. I does balance better but I wish the controls were a bit more accessible. I rarely use mine since I got my Nox though. I bought it thinking I was going to do more deep water hunting but that hasn't been the case. It's a good backup anyway.

Betting you go that mount from me : )

You can always turn the unit around and mount it facing forward.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my CZ-21 I have the control unit mounted under the rod like flgliderpilot next to the cuff but the controls face the loop. They are upside down but no problem to use. I lift the detector loop up if i need to view the controls. Much better setup for balance.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Betting you go that mount from me : )

You can always turn the unit around and mount it facing forward.
That may well be.

I like the controls facing me. It's just the legs on the cuff that are in the way. I thought about heating them and bending them out a bit but just never did it. I do like the balance with the mount though.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CZ series detectors are fantastic and still one of my favorites. The fact that the CZs have been around since the early 1990's and still being sold in the form of the CZ 3D and CZ 21 is quite a testament.

Steve

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wear mine on my chest now a days
attachment.php

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wear mine on my chest now a days
attachment.php
I have the harness and mount for mine. I've tried it a couple times but I didn't like having 2 cables to deal with. As a result and the fact that I don't do was much water hunting as I thought I'm considering selling mine. It has only been used a few times for a short time each and has never been wet except the coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions