04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT PRO,
Whites MXT TRACKER E-SERIES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found plenty of nickels with my equinox 800. Which includes regular Jefferson's, buffalos and war nickels and they all seem to vdi between 12-14, mostly a solid 13. Yesterday hunting a park I dug a target that was reading between 23-24 and thought it was going to be a bottle cap. What I ended up with was a 1943 S war nickel. I had rechecked the vdi out of the hole and the reading hadn't changed. Has anyone else found a nickel to be this far off from the normal vdi or could this be an error coin.

Upvote 5

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Funny thing ... I've dug hundreds of Nickel's with my E-Trac.
They always came in as solid 13's - War Nickel's 15's or so because of the Silver content.
But I remember digging one or two Nickels that came in way higher.
I asked the same question you are- never figured it out.

Only answer I came up with ...
Was there was a tiny piece of metal next to the Nickel that I didn't see making the target ID came in higher ?

OP
OP

04jeep

May 29, 2016
ATWATER, CA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT PRO,
Whites MXT TRACKER E-SERIES
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing ... I've dug hundreds of Nickel's with my E-Trac.
They always came in as solid 13's - War Nickel's 15's or so because of the Silver content.
But I remember digging one or two Nickels that came in way higher.
I asked the same question you are- never figured it out.

Only answer I came up with ...
Was there was a tiny piece of metal next to the Nickel that I didn't see making the target ID came in higher ?

I just got back from metal detecting and brought more of my war nickels to verify vdi. Yes most of them vdi'd at 13 to 15 with some at 23 to 24. Even during air test. I don't believe the silver content has anything to do with the higher reading. If you take a clad dime or quarter, the silver counterpart will not read 10 points higher. I will leave it at that. Thanks to those that responded to my post. Happy hunting to all.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found plenty of nickels with my equinox 800. Which includes regular Jefferson's, buffalos and war nickels and they all seem to vdi between 12-14, mostly a solid 13. Yesterday hunting a park I dug a target that was reading between 23-24 and thought it was going to be a bottle cap. What I ended up with was a 1943 S war nickel. I had rechecked the vdi out of the hole and the reading hadn't changed. Has anyone else found a nickel to be this far off from the normal vdi or could this be an error coin.
Any War Nickel is welcome to show up at any of those numbers. I have hat one ring up as a 23 once in some different soil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread