EN 5.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 7

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can tell you about the "Esmond Art Gallery" is that it no longer exists (at least not under that name), and neither does "Wetherby Terrace". I found nothing about their history apart from an auction listing for another work with that label which referred to it as a prestigious gallery (well they would, wouldn't they?), but I’d never heard of it before. The telephone number relates to the London exchange of FLAxman. London numbers in that format with FLA as the first three letters of the exchange used as a code followed by four digits were introduced in 1927 and phased out in the late 1960s, but that only gives an approximate date range for the gallery sale at that address.

I would guess “Rose” (if that’s what it says) was the engraver or printmaker, but it rings no bells; and the other signature is the original artist, which I can’t read and don’t recognise. The scene itself looks like it might be in the French Pyrenees.

Not much to go on otherwise.

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 sure as there is very little to go on to find out more. Really appreciate your time & effort Red-Coat, thanks & have a good one .....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread