Estate Cleanout Find

MattyFoto

Mar 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Signed up to the forums just to post this (had lurked in the past). I hunt junk stores and thrift shops and estate sales for deals. Do okay sometimes. Picked up something yesterday and have no clue what it is. Will give as much detail as I can.

The piece is in what looks like a custom shadow box frame (the blue tray in the photos) the overall weight is probably 12lbs or so. Surprisingly heavy and well made. I get the impression someone spent some cash to have this thing mounted.

The pice itself, guess it is ceramic but hard to say, also looks like marble. The piece is 10in wide by 6in high and 1 inch thick. Painted blue and yellow with heavy heavy crazing and a crack on the right side that was repaired I think with some sort of compound. Based on the style of the frame and the age on some of the nails on the back I would say it was framed in the late 50's. But the piece itself, if it is not reproduction is anywhere from 14th to 17th century.

Hoping someone can pin down it's possible provenance. Where they think the tile came from and if it looks authentic. Photos include and thanks in advance! tile01.jpg tile02.jpg

Oh yeah one other thing. No writing I can see. There are some numbers under the box that supports the piece but cannot make them out. Think they were just measurements from the framer.

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there kitchen and fireplace tiles, sorry I cant help with a date. Nice find though!
Broken Knee
[h=3][/h]

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, WELCOME to the forum. I'd like to see super close up pics. :) Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MattyFoto

Mar 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, happy to be part of such a cool site. I cropped in closer on the photo I took already but if you want something better I will try and post them tomorrow.

tile03.jpg

Hello, WELCOME to the forum. I'd like to see super close up pics. :) Breezie

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions