Etrac MarsMD 7" DD Coil - Very Nice!

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up this 7" Mars Coil for my Etrac for about half the retail price and it really performs. I dug a quarter this weekend at 10" with solid 12-47 ID on the Etrac. I thought for sure it was going to be a Silver but it was a 1965 missed it by 1 year as is typical of my luck. I think this will probably be the coil I leave on the Etrac for most of my trashy park hunting. The Etrac is certainly lacking by today's Deus standards in terms of recovery speed but it's unmasking capability and target ID is 2nd to none. Seems like for me running the smaller 7" coil is a happy medium for coin shooting as I was able to keep a constant threshold hum most of the time in the trash. I made a custom program that should hit 95% of all the gold rings I've ever dug so while I expect to dig lots of pull-tabs and bottle caps I'm ok with this as Its whats worked for me in finding gold in the parks. Although I've only got about 30 hours on the machine I'm very good at IDing Nickels it seems like a very distinct Tone and VDI on Nickels that separates from Pull-tabs. I can't help but wonder if I was hunting a "hunted out" section of the park this weekend as I was pulling mostly Nickels and not much else. Makes me wonder if whoever hunted before had pulled most of the high tones out of the area. I've also been digging 35-50 vdi readings as I've read those can be deep silvers but so far they have only produced rusty bent nails. Hopefully the folks at Mars are staying safe and pull through this nonsense in Ukraine.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Small coils on the E-Trac are a great combo.
I used a 6" EQ 2 coil on my ET for five years - tons of great finds - lot's of 7" Dimes.
The ET is hands down one of the best detectors ever made but like you said - it's processor is slow to recover.
I love my Deus but it can't tell you if a penny is a Flying Eagle, Indian, Wheat, Copper or a Zinc before you dig it.
The E-Trac can !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread