What's new

Evening hunt with Mirage-nice Merc, buckle

Danimal

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
165
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
I met Bob (Mirage) after work and took him to the area where I have been doing my lunchtime hunt since last Summer. After we covered the brushy area we wandered back into the older woods where I have found some much older stuff, including a 1700s colonial coin, silver thimble, pewter utensils, and other nice do-dads.
I found a 1940 Merc in the newer woods and could tell even with the mud caked on that it was badly tarnished but it was silver and I wuz happy!
Back in the older area I dug a buckle that was VERY deep and under old tree roots. Doesn't appear to be any markings on it at all :(
Also found part of an old pocketknife, an old broach with what is probably fake pearls and diamonds and a couple fired musketballs.
Earlier in the day at lunch I found the Palmolive advertising token (1920s) and the silver plated chain link. Probably from a decorative horse harness, as I have found MANY silver plated harness buckles in the same area.Since it's not a key date I polished the Merc...and was thrilled to see that this baby was nearly uncirculated!...more sharp detail than almost any Merc I have ever dug! Sharp, defined sep. bands on the reverse.

totals
3-21hunt 001.webp
cleaned
3-21hunt 002.webp
closeup of Merc's obverse
3-21hunt 006.webp
reverse
3-21hunt 005.webp
Pamolive token obverse
3-211.webp
old broach
3-21hunt 007.webp

HH all!
 
Upvote 0
tinpan said:
Hi dan ,Another good day and i like your token.Congrats, Gee by one of the replies to this thread ,it is easy to to see why some don,t share all thier secret methods of hunting and cleaning. :-\ :-\ :-\


tinpan

I hear ya Tin...I don't know how many times I have said this, but before cleaning ANY older coin you should make sure it's not a key date or such. If it's a common date (like a 1940 Merc dime) then it is worth next to nothing covered in black tarnish (regardless of the wear on the coin).
As it is now, it's a thing of beauty!
BTW, I AM getting better at taking care of my finds. In the past I might have even tried field cleaning that puppy. Ask Mirage..I left it caked with dirt and wrapped it and placed in in my pocket...all the while trying to imagine it being a 1916D!! ;)
 
"Jinkies, Scoob, did you see that cleaning?" (stated in Shaggy's voice).
"Rye ron't rhink rye rould rave rone rhat" (stated in a Scooby Doo voice).


Scoob's translation: I don't think I would have done that.
 
doyboy said:
"Jinkies, Scoob, did you see that cleaning?" (stated in Shaggy's voice).
"Rye ron't rhink rye rould rave rone rhat" (stated in a Scooby Doo voice).


Scoob's translation: I don't think I would have done that.

Was wondering when twiddledee would show up ::)
doy...I don't think I care what you think. :P
 
doyboy said:
"Jinkies, Scoob, did you see that cleaning?" (stated in Shaggy's voice).
"Rye ron't rhink rye rould rave rone rhat" (stated in a Scooby Doo voice).


Scoob's translation: I don't think I would have done that.

INTERESTING "YOU HAVE THREE DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES" I still don,t understand what your trying to say.Can you please explain . ??? ??? ???

                              tinpan
 
Tinpan, Shaggy and Scoob were browsing this forum when they came across Mr. D's post. That was when Shag noticed something out of the ordinary. :o

"Zoinks, Scoob, we're being followed!" :D
 
Danimal said:
bscofield6 said:
I guess someone made you edit your initial response....

But I think you would cry if I wasn't here.

No...no one "made" me edit it. I decided to edit it myself. I think enough people here are aware of my distaste for your arrogance without me having to continually say so.
Look, as long as you have doy giving you support, why care about what anyone else thinks? ;)

You may not be #1 on this forum, but you are definitely #1 in my heart!
 
Nice Merc, and cool token 8).Doyboy better fire up the mystery van and get over there ::) :o
 
doyboy said:
I must be one popular dude! His first word was "Doy." ;D

I think he was asked a question.... Who is better at detecting, danimal the manimal or doy?
 
Nice finds Danimal!

The Merc cleaned up nicely. I found a Polmolive/Colgate shave cream token a few weeks ago. If I hadn't cleaned it, I never would have known what it was. ;)

Congratulations!


Ridley
 
Nice finds! I love those old merc dimes and the one you found looks great all cleaned up.
 
Congrats on the dime...you sure you didn't just make that thing, it looks too good!!
WTG...
HH
Sean
 
Danimal said:
tinpan said:
Hi dan ,Another good day and i like your token.Congrats, Gee by one of the replies to this thread ,it is easy to to see why some don,t share all thier secret methods of hunting and cleaning. :-\ :-\ :-\


tinpan

I hear ya Tin...I don't know how many times I have said this, but before cleaning ANY older coin you should make sure it's not a key date or such. If it's a common date (like a 1940 Merc dime) then it is worth next to nothing covered in black tarnish (regardless of the wear on the coin).
As it is now, it's a thing of beauty!
BTW, I AM getting better at taking care of my finds. In the past I might have even tried field cleaning that puppy. Ask Mirage..I left it caked with dirt and wrapped it and placed in in my pocket...all the while trying to imagine it being a 1916D!! ;)

Well spoken....We ALL know there are times when cleaning will ruin it. Great job and beautiful coin.
~Nash~
 
Great finds! That polished merc looks like a proof coin.
HH
Mark G
 
markgPA said:
Great finds! That polished merc looks like a proof coin.
HH
Mark G

BTW Mark...I'm not using an abrasive polish like Simichrome like I used to. Blue Magic is what I use. When done carefully, there's not even small stuff visible with a 12X loupe!
 
I actually like the "blackened" look on Winged Liberty Head dimes. Yours looks like a reflector now. Big D, now you can use it as a reflector on your mountain bike. :D
 
doyboy said:
I actually like the "blackened" look on Winged Liberty Head dimes. Yours looks like a reflector now. Big D, now you can use it as a reflector on your mountain bike. :D

Actually "little d", those shiny silver things are called mirrors, not reflectors. Reflectors are usually red, sometimes yellow. Thank you for again letting myself and everyone here who is interested, know what it is that you "like".
Your comments are a death knell to any thread.
 
Big D, I am just be honest, dude! I love the reflector look. I wish you and the hardcore Berg gang a lot of luck at that defunct tavern site! :P
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom